• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness requirements for TG

L

Liam419

Hi, im due to go on TG 14th June, asking for any tips on what i may come up against regarding physical fitness during the first 4 weeks of the course because i have been told that these are the most demanding physically. Any help from currently serving gunners or gunners in training will be appreciated.

F

Forest

Fella, if you have been told that the first 4 weeks are hard then you have been very mis-informed

The whole course is very physically and mentally demanding. The phys on the course is progressive so dont start flapping but you do need to have a good base level. If you dont struggle in the gym sessions, then its just one less thing to worry about whilst on course.

As for tips, all i can say is BEST EFFORT on everything that you do. The first phys session you will do is on the first thursday when you will be introduced to the gym then take the RAF Fitness test. This is a BEST EFFORT TEST. This means that you only stop when you are about to vomit!

All too often, guys just get to a certain level then drop out. the instructors will be watching and it doesn't look good if you bin it at the first sign of things getting hard.

Also, some guys pull up short of the required level, holding their leg or chest saying that it hurts and expect sympathy from the staff. You wont get it. Potential gunners are expected to pass this test. It isnt difficult. If you do find this simple test hard then may i suggest that you find yourself a different trade.

Remember.... the Trainee Gunner course is a 22 week job interview!

Good luck.

L

Liam419

Thanks, i gathered that the whole course is very demanding but was told that the PT's really try to smash you into shape during the first 4 weeks. Thats all i was getting at.