• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Falklands effects at home

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
On returning from the Falklands I discovered that as soon as the clock hit 1900 I had to be standing at a bar with a large group of other desperados trying to get as hooped as possible in about 3 hours. I also discovered that my friends could all drink past midnight with no problems yet after only 15 pints of Wife Beater I was incapable of standing after 2300.

Did anyone else have some worrying symptoms after a tour "Down South" or was it just me?

If we can get enough replies perhaps we can start some kind of action against the Government?:pDT_Xtremez_09:

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
When I came back from there in '94 I found it impossible to have sex with a woman unless she had a couple of staples across her midrift.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
I found that whenever I got in a vehicle, I tried to sit sideways & whenever the postman called at our house, I would run to the door shouting "the mail's in".

Actually, everyone used to get a spoof letter explaining the side effects that a loved one may experience on return from the Falklands, detailing examples of the above.

M

mad cow

Yes I too found it hard to drink at a pace known as 'normal'. It took a while to stop swigging my drink as fast as anyone else had had about a fifth of theirs. I found it hard not to order my wine in pint measures. (Castaways)

I found it difficult to restrain myself from dancing moronically to Abba's Dancing Queen. When my claw name was inadvertantly mentioned by innocent bystanders, I wondered why nobody looked at me and smirked (side effect from leaving 1435Flt).

It almost sounds like I miss the place. Almost.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
My other half (for the first couple of weeks after getting back) said, every night, "why are you drumming your fingers on the settee arm and looking at your watch every minute or so? it's only 7 o' clock".:pDT_Xtremez_19:

230Tiger

Sergeant
My other half (for the first couple of weeks after getting back) said, every night, "why are you drumming your fingers on the settee arm and looking at your watch every minute or so? it's only 7 o' clock".:pDT_Xtremez_19:

It's a medical condition known as "The Shutters"!

J

JetLaverick

It used to be like that at leuchars in 73 to 75 lol, 22:00 closing hours and pubs shut on Sundays only ' Hendersons' Hotel and St Michaels open lol, used to rush back to the bowl for last half hour

JAFAD666

Flight Sergeant
I was always willing to empty the bins, the then current Mrs 666 thought it was great. Unfortunately it cost me a fortune in wasted red wine. Got so used to smuggling full bottles out of Sharky`s.

shettie

Flight Sergeant
It used to be like that at leuchars in 73 to 75 lol, 22:00 closing hours and pubs shut on Sundays only ' Hendersons' Hotel and St Michaels open lol, used to rush back to the bowl for last half hour

I remember sitting in Hendies - the night the licensing hours changed - nissed as a pute at 1/4 to 10 wondering why everyone else was taking it easy - was totally legless at 11! :) and can't remember what tear that was!... Sad really... Now... wheres my colostomy bag.... wibble... :)

Was nice coming home and exiting a bar and not getting blown away or a face full of wind-borne vomit at Kent! :)

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Did anyone else have some worrying symptoms after a tour "Down South" or was it just me?

If we can get enough replies perhaps we can start some kind of action against the Government?:pDT_Xtremez_09:[/QUOTE]

Yes, perhaps most worryingly that I realised that I quite enjoyed all that 1453 flight had to offer me.

Quite spookily I was going through some old boxes today and foundsome shots of the Harriers on the pan being loxed up in clouds of vapour..25 yrs ago now and seems like yesterday!

JAFAD666

Flight Sergeant
1435, gave a back seat ride to the JCUFI "Caridee nite Mate" (but they don`t like to talk about it, how about abit of Bachman Turner, overdrive). I won ! unforunately it was 10 days after my Gzomie flight ... Bugger ! re-sold it for charity (Brain cancer). But sitting in a Timmy in cattle class I did think ... Hmmm ! ... should have stayed and been cargo in an F3 ... oh well you live ... and most people learn !!! ... must try that some day ...:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Mad Pierre

Corporal
Got back from mine only tour in Jan 88, the missus was most put out when I leapt up at some godforsaken hour to demand if she'd got the rations in for the night shift.
It took a couple of weeks for the bizarre dreams to wear off, but 4 months maintaining crypto will do things to a guy.