• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Essential Kit for Halton

Hello all

I've just been given my kit list for Halton but I was wondering if their was any kit/items of clothing that you took that wasn't on the kit list but you found really useful. For example own hoover, cleaning products, etc. Or was there something someone else had that you wish you had had with you.

I noticed at PRTC that the spa shop on base is expensive so I will stock up on personal toiletries in advance. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
  • Right. A hoover. Not an upright. You need one that gets in the corners and sux like a FIFA member.
  • The most powerful leviathan like, godzilla of a steam iron you can lay your hands on.
  • E-45 moisturising cream (don't ask. You will know it when you need it, but you will).
  • Cilit Bang (multiple uses; both in the block and "post-socially")

A

A Crusty Demon

Ironing board and the best iron you can get your hands on, be prepared to spend a fair bit on one; i did.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
  • The most powerful leviathan like, godzilla of a steam iron you can lay your hands on.

Mrs 'Fuse swears by one of these steam-breathing beasts. Very quick at getting through the pile of dhobi our household generates. But have the steam knob thingy turned up too high and you'll have your own sauna! On a serious note though, the steam blast setting would be excellent at giving your kit a freshen up.

View attachment 10527

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Profe...DS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1307289231&sr=8-11

Northern Monkey

Corporal
My own personal view on this, being in the know is:

- Only buy an ironing board there, they do sell them. (Otherwise struggle with it, either on the train or getting it in the car).
- I wouldn't personally buy a hoover, afterall you will be provided with them, why go to the expense at this level of your career. If however, on getting there the said hoovers are pap then why not club together and buy one.
- Do buy a decent iron. Look at the plate ratings etc, Argos does plenty of suitable ones for no more than £30.
- The kit you need is as per the list provided, don't overdo it.

If you choose to buy all these extras afterall then just bear in mind you won't be getting paid that much, do you really want to fritter it away on unnecessary items.

A

Aaoi

While on the subject of kit, Im seriously struggling with packing! I've taken the minimum and no ironing board as i'm catching the train and I'm sure I will get chance to buy one.
But what sort of bags are you guys all taking? Suitcase / holdall? I have the mother of all holdalls but with brushes / underwear / lint rollers / boots and trainers I'm struggling to get it all in! It's like I'm taking half a wilkinsons store with me!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
While on the subject of kit, Im seriously struggling with packing! I've taken the minimum and no ironing board as i'm catching the train and I'm sure I will get chance to buy one.
But what sort of bags are you guys all taking? Suitcase / holdall? I have the mother of all holdalls but with brushes / underwear / lint rollers / boots and trainers I'm struggling to get it all in! It's like I'm taking half a wilkinsons store with me!

I am not trying to be funny, but there are 2 clear options.

1. Don't go by train...I don't know your personal circumstances but first arrival and final departure by train is ludicrous with the stuff you have now, and will accumulate in the interim.

2. If you really, realy have to use the choo choo, get your family to post on or deliver the stuff you wont need just yet after you pitch up........think of it as a red cross parcel and your place of internment as some balmy, open prison (but with nastier screws and worse food)

A

Aaoi

I am not trying to be funny, but there are 2 clear options.

1. Don't go by train...I don't know your personal circumstances but first arrival and final departure by train is ludicrous with the stuff you have now, and will accumulate in the interim.

2. If you really, realy have to use the choo choo, get your family to post on or deliver the stuff you wont need just yet after you pitch up........think of it as a red cross parcel and your place of internment as some balmy, open prison (but with nastier screws and worse food)
Yeah I wasn't too happy about catching the train to be honest but I don't have any other option, family circumstances have lead to it being a must unfortunately.
Good advice with the red cross parcel thing though, I might do that, sperate my essential stuff from not quite so essential and leave it with my nearest and dearest. To be honest it's the coathangers that are doing the damage lol damn things won't go in any way I force um! I'm gonna get there and just have handy chunks of fire wood.

A

A Crusty Demon

I'm taking a large gym bag and a suitcase with wheels with me.