• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ends of eras

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Seeing the thread about Wg Cdr Ayerst prompts me to ask this question.

Sir Michael Beetham was CAS during the Falklands War in 1982 but had previously had combat experience in WW2, which sounds a long time but is less than 40 years. So does anyone know who was the last member of the RAF with WW2 service to be demobbed?

Entropy

Sergeant
The font of all truth states that "As a Marshal of the Royal Air Force, Beetham remains on the RAF's Active List" So does that mean that he's still in?

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
The font of all truth states that "As a Marshal of the Royal Air Force, Beetham remains on the RAF's Active List" So does that mean that he's still in?

To misquote 'The Grand Old Duke of York':

'When he was in he was in
And when he was out he was out;
And when he was only half-way out,
He was neither here nor there.'

All air officers remain on the active list and attend a briefing once a year. Used to be a Bracknell. Don't know where now though.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All air officers remain on the active list and attend a briefing once a year. Used to be a Bracknell. Don't know where now though.

Sounds like a good excuse to exacerbate the gout...

Remember having to pay out travel claims cash on the day to them. However watching God miss a small flight of steps and go a over t and being reduced to tears of laughter didn't help my fledgling career at all.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Remember having to pay out travel claims cash on the day to them. However watching God miss a small flight of steps and go a over t and being reduced to tears of laughter didn't help my fledgling career at all.

Hickory dickory dock,
Three AVMs ran up the clock,
One fell down
And the others claimed travel allowance...

morse1001

Sergeant
At a meeting of the RAF Historical Society held at the RUSI in Whitehall. I found myself in a queue for the toilet. Sir Michael was at the Urinal, behind him was an AVM whose name I cannot remember. At times, I was thinking that at their ranks, they would have someone else to do that for them.

terence

Corporal
At a meeting of the RAF Historical Society held at the RUSI in Whitehall. I found myself in a queue for the toilet. Sir Michael was at the Urinal, behind him was an AVM whose name I cannot remember. At times, I was thinking that at their ranks, they would have someone else to do that for them.

or at least hold it for them....am I allowed to say that?

morse1001

Sergeant
I thought that they would have turned to their PAs and said, 'Smithers I need a ****' back would come the reply, 'yes sir
I will be back in five minutes.