• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Earliest get out date without affecting pension

I

irishlogster

Hello... Could anyone shed some light on the earliest i could get out with a job offer without it affecting my pension(22 yr point) Thanks

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
The current PVR waiting time is 6 months for all ranks and trades so if you're not within 6 months of your 22 year point then you'll have to wait until then. If you're within 6 months of your 22 year point then PVR now and you'll be a Mr in 6 months.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It's set in stone

It's set in stone

As above, one day less than 22 years and you get nought, apart from a preserved pension and a 10K gratuity.

Under the new scheme you need to have completed 18 years and be 40 or over.

Unless you've been offered your dream job then it's worth the wait.

Mightierthan

Corporal
If you are on a pensionable engagement, i.e. 22 years or more, you can apply to come out 3 months prior to your 22-year point in order to take up a job. There is no loss of pension.

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
If you are on a pensionable engagement, i.e. 22 years or more, you can apply to come out 3 months prior to your 22-year point in order to take up a job. There is no loss of pension.

That little know QR; is it stilll there? I've never know of anyone actually succesfully applying for this which would need your boss to agree to run light for that period. I suspect that there would be a slight loss in pension though based on the theory that you don't get ou(gh)t for nowt!

C

CC

The 3 month exit before your 22 yr point is extant I believe, but you will need to prove (some sort of letter) that you will lose a job if you don't leave at that point.

In all my years I have never heard of anyone actually doing this.

N

Nuts

Yep I've heard of people getting out with a letter from a new company; however, if your exit date is brought forward then I still think you will lose the rights to your pension. I am just about to leave though and I've been on leave since before Xmas - and working. You will need to apply to work on ILA and also a seperate app to work on terminal leave but you cant work on resettlement - well you can work you just can't get paid for it, not really sure how that is policed though!!!

B

Bathtime

That little know QR; is it stilll there? I've never know of anyone actually succesfully applying for this which would need your boss to agree to run light for that period. I suspect that there would be a slight loss in pension though based on the theory that you don't get ou(gh)t for nowt!

I know of only one person who got it, he didn't loose any pension and our boss ran light as there was an abundance of SNCO's in the section. He got all his terminal leave and resettlement etc and he left exactly 6 months before his 22 was up! Good egg as well, put £200 behind the bar on his leaving do!!!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Its not

Its not

Yep I've heard of people getting out with a letter from a new company; however, if your exit date is brought forward then I still think you will lose the rights to your pension. I am just about to leave though and I've been on leave since before Xmas - and working. You will need to apply to work on ILA and also a seperate app to work on terminal leave but you cant work on resettlement - well you can work you just can't get paid for it, not really sure how that is policed though!!!

It's not policed, and as long as you don't work for the Govt they'll probably never find out unless somebody snitches on yer.

For what it's worth you're better off getting the approval for work on leave as it's normally a given.

The 3 month exit before your 22 yr point is extant I believe, but you will need to prove (some sort of letter) that you will lose a job if you don't leave at that point.

In all my years I have never heard of anyone actually doing this.

I left using this QR (Can't remember the number). I was due out July 08, got a written job offer starting February 2008 (- a condition is that the job cannot be held open, which it couldn't -training dates etc). brought discharge date forward to April 2008 with terminal, annual leave etc etc i finished just before Xmas 2007. So actual service was 21 years , 9 months, still got an immediate pension , which was only affected by 3 months out of 22 years ......i started early Feb and received 2 wages until discharge date (new job on 'emergency tax') which probably was more than i lost out on.

to be honest there were conflicting opinions from PSF about whether I would get an immediate pension. A FS and Sgt said 'no, you must do 22 years or more' the Cpl said 'yes it can be done and I intend to use it ' . Once I had confirmation it could be done I was outta there!

M

Mickwreay

I left using this QR (Can't remember the number). I was due out July 08, got a written job offer starting February 2008 (- a condition is that the job cannot be held open, which it couldn't -training dates etc). brought discharge date forward to April 2008 with terminal, annual leave etc etc i finished just before Xmas 2007. So actual service was 21 years , 9 months, still got an immediate pension , which was only affected by 3 months out of 22 years ......i started early Feb and received 2 wages until discharge date (new job on 'emergency tax') which probably was more than i lost out on.

to be honest there were conflicting opinions from PSF about whether I would get an immediate pension. A FS and Sgt said 'no, you must do 22 years or more' the Cpl said 'yes it can be done and I intend to use it ' . Once I had confirmation it could be done I was outta there!

Your best bet is to write to the pension dept direct, as they are the ones who will pay you or not!
I brought my date forward by 3 months but I'd already done over 22, my question was "did I need to complete 2 years in my new rank?" I could not get any definitive reply form PSF and the enquiry line will NOT go into details, you must write! However I needed a v quick answer & got a reply in 2 days.

Good luck

C

CC

Nice one, I'll remember that next time I get the question.

Cheers. :pDT_Xtremez_26: