• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does the DWP do enough?

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I'm after people's opinions on the deployed welfare package, specifically from those have benefitted (or otherwise) from the scheme within the last 12 months or so.

So, with due regard to OpSec/PerSec, I'd be grateful for any sensible comments on the subject. What elements of the DWP have people experienced? What other welfare facilities were available to use over and above the provisions of the DWP? What additional measures would people like to see in any future enhancements of the DWP? How does this all compare with operational deployments before the DWP was introduced?

Thanks

Webbo

Sergeant
I'm after people's opinions on the deployed welfare package, specifically from those have benefitted (or otherwise) from the scheme within the last 12 months or so.

So, with due regard to OpSec/PerSec, I'd be grateful for any sensible comments on the subject. What elements of the DWP have people experienced? What other welfare facilities were available to use over and above the provisions of the DWP? What additional measures would people like to see in any future enhancements of the DWP? How does this all compare with operational deployments before the DWP was introduced?

Thanks

Bin it all and give us the 130 Euro's a day that the Aussies are on in Afghan. When I questioned a politician over this during the festive period in KAF his reply was that we make up for the short fall in NATO money with free internet, 30 min phone card and.................................... I don't know what else we got.

A discussion in the T-bar all Sqn members were of the feeling that you can stick your phone card and internet and pay us the 130 Euro's a day.

You do the math of a 93 day tour that the Tonka's are doing every 18 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus the volunteer list would go through the roof. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

T

The Masked Geek

Yeah, give us the money that NATO gives to the government per man in theatre.

"The UK military is not a mercenary organisation" Bollox, give us the cash Broon.

C

CC

First FIs tour, absolute bog all, no internet, no phone calls, just free BFPO.

Now, when I go away at least I get 30 mins phonecalls per week (same as convicts which is a fcuking disgrace) and some sort of internet access.

TBH, I'd drop the DWP(O) and take LOA or some other payment any time.

C

CC

Bollox, soz, meant to say that I don't need the whole DVD/TV/audio visual package either as I take my laptop with me and about 600 films on my portable HDD.

JTforever

Corporal
I'd like the extra money, it's never going to happen though is it?

So, a better/faster BFPO service and newspapers less than 10 days old would be a start.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Let's assume for a minute that every penny currently pumped into the DWP(O) is instead shared equally amongst the individuals deployed. I've no idea how much money we are talking but for argument's sake let's call it £10 per person per day. What would people do with that money? Bear in mind that we already get LSA and/or Operational Allowance.

More to the point, what material goods or services would people like to have provided in-theatre but don't and what is currently provided that people don't want to lose, e.g., a communal welfare facility (can't really call it a bar!) with Sky Sports?

JTforever

Corporal
What would people do with that money? Bear in mind that we already get LSA and/or Operational Allowance.

More to the point, what material goods or services would people like to have provided in-theatre but don't and what is currently provided that people don't want to lose, e.g., a communal welfare facility (can't really call it a bar!) with Sky Sports?

I'd save the extra money and spend it when I got home, as would almost everyone else I'd imagine.

People want decent postal service, phones/internet that are reliable and not turned off five times a day, more phone minutes than prisoners, new newspapers/books, SPAR/NAAFI shops that sell useful stuff at decent prices.

Not interested in fancy coffee shops and the like, cover the basics first!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Let's assume for a minute that every penny currently pumped into the DWP(O) is instead shared equally amongst the individuals deployed. I've no idea how much money we are talking but for argument's sake let's call it £10 per person per day. What would people do with that money? Bear in mind that we already get LSA and/or Operational Allowance.

Less outrageously priced coffee shops would be a starter. At the end of a 12/14/16 hour shift, I dont really want to go for a £3 coffee with someone I've just spent the last 12/14/16 hours with - I'd much rather have extra phone credit and/or a more reliable internet connection that can handle skype so I can talk to those who really matter in my life.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
To answer the original question - No. It is well-intentioned but, in some areas, completely misdirected. I don't want to receive Connect 4, Frustration or any other pointless board game. I want enhanced Wi-Fi that allows Skype, and subsidised retail outlets (Coffee shop etc). I don't want to receive books, or newspapers that are 2 weeks old, if the Wi-Fi is good enough then I'll read the papers online on the day they are issued. DWP is not a disaster, but it needs to be updated and made more relevant to the needs of deployed personnel.

millie

LAC
I served in the Balkans in 09 and we had very limited DWP. We had to pay for Internet access, 15 euros per month, however it was fed into our accommodation. We had no BFPO system out there, and so folks back home had to rely on DHL to get stuff out securely. We received phone cards and the odd electronic printed paper. However, the contingent were very grounded appreciating we had it no where near our colleagues in hot sandy places. So swings and roundabouts. I too would rather have the 100 euros plus that the Irish, Americans, Italians, Spanish were on per day!

OK..Igiveup

Corporal
wastage

wastage

People just want to sit in their rooms and play xbox and watch movies nowadays.
We can't support the bar culture we used to and people wont sit in a bar and play a board game anymore. (not worth the risk if people have a beer or 2)

I was away recently and getting anyone motivated was painfull.
nobody reads the papers anymore except for the one page! so bin them.
everyone wants to skype which means that a PC gets tied up if the wireless is rubbish. Just give people more phone time and a portable harddrive. That way they can sit in their pit.

I think the money should be spent at home on the childcare I had to fork out for !!!!!!!

The rules are two general. 30 mins a week phone call if the phones are working!
Internet access - but may be slow as anything or lack of terminals at peak times.
free post- unless you in an area where you have to pay!

fed_up_scribbly

Corporal
Having just returned from KAF I echo most of the points of view already expressed. The current DWP, as well intentioned as it may be, just isn't what is wanted these days. We need to take a look at what some of our NATO allies are doing for their personnel - the Canadians and the Dutch have really got it sorted when it comes to looking after their personnel. Whilst additional cash is always welcome (I might not be greedy but I will never look a gift horse in the mouth!) it isn't necessarily the right answer. More reliable internet, phones, satellite TV and books etc please. Oh, and while you're at it can you get them to sort out the RSOI accommodation - it really is a fcuking disgrace.........if you use their showers you end up dirtier than when you started.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Avoid Sky Sports, there's nothing worse when away if every single time you want to make use of the welfare package someone is already watching a game of football from some random country just to kill time, if it is a big game then BFBS will show it anyway so folk don't miss what they consider the important ones. It's all to easy to get sucked into buying what you and your mates like because you assume everyone likes it, someone said bin the books off, reading's a hobby of mine and I can go though a couple of good books a week when on DWR, it'd cost me a fortune to keep buying them if the small libraries we have disappeared. If anything I say more books, I tend to take 2 or 3 books with me when I go and I leave them behind when I leave and I wouldn't have thought I'm only one. Make a better effort to get current newspapers into theatre, it's unfair to tie up an internet terminal reading a paper when people would like to try and talk to family and friends, a broadsheet can take over an hour to read.

If I think of any more I'll let you know.:pDT_Xtremez_26: