• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dodgy old knees - Halton

Harby1

LAC
Evening all, well it's nearly that time to wander off through the gates of RAF Halton as a 38 year old Auggie. Can't wait but with an element of trepidation.

The treadmill has made a long dormant meniscus (knee cartilage) injury flare up and I've been told by a now serving reservist to expect some discomfort in the knees on the final exercise (leopard crawling, etc). Knee pads have been recommended (expect some p!ss taking). Before I go online to purchase I wondered if anyone could advise if these need to be as per service issued? Any recommendations welcome. Many thanks.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Never heard of service issued knee pads (aside ones you'd use for working underneath ac that are uncomfortable and restrictive as fcuk - certainly no good for leopard crawling).

As I own a well fcuked knee (6 ops) I tend to use knee supports all the time when running etc req'd. I assume you'll be wearing them under MTP? In which case, no-one will see them so get whatever is best. I see plenty of folk in the gym with knee supports ranging from top of the range to tubagrip.

Harby1

LAC
creaky knee...

creaky knee...

Thanks Billy, the pads that I was thinking of are service issued for the field and go over the DPMs. The wife’s old man is ex-RM and mentioned that the lads he sees on camp got them service issued for Herrick. Got a knee support for walking about prior to Halton & gym work (f$cked the treadmill off though!) and I may get some strapping on there some days too. May take a few options to make things a little more comfortable…for an office monkey like me it’ll be more physical than I’m used to but perfectly doable! Can’t wait.

Entropy

Sergeant
Although it was 5 years ago for me, you were offered knee pads (from a big box of scabby looking things and not personal issue) but they were useless as they slid down the your leg.

Harby1

LAC
Although it was 5 years ago for me, you were offered knee pads (from a big box of scabby looking things and not personal issue) but they were useless as they slid down the your leg.

Ah yes sounds like those minging pads we used to use on the range in the Spacers. Thanks entropy!

Last edited:

Entropy

Sergeant
Have you considered neoprene knee supports, they may help support your knees and provide cushioning. Sports Direct do them for £4.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's not the direct presssure, it's the getting up and down quickly which was the bugger for me. You do a lot of that in the DTTC, doing REEF, IDF drills, CQB etc. A` general knee support will help, but prepare to groan a bit.

Matt-r8

LAC
Get yourself to a decent cycle shop and look at the FOX Enduro knee pads. Not at all bulky but offer a good level of protection. They'll not even be noticeable under combats.