• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do I have a case...?

Mightierthan

Corporal
Ladies & gents, if you are in a Chf Clk role or similar I would be grateful for a bit of impartial advice. I was in a Chf Clk role a few years back and if someone had come to me with a case like mine I don't think I would have been very sympathetic!

I have just been notified of my next OOA, due Jul this year, immediate reserve. I have no problems going and look forward to the healthier lifestyle, extra training etc, as well as the bonhomie that is generated OOA. However, the timing isn't great so I want to defer for 2 roulements (8 months).

Basically I am part of the diaspora - I am the only military person where I am posted. The rest are civvies and civil servants. There is an Army base nearby that provides medical and dental care only - no MT, Admin, Supply, Welfare, CCS or Fitness Testing for non-battalion personnel. My parent unit is 270 miles away and would take 5 hours to get there - I have never been there!

If I went OOA now I would spend the following 4 months travelling to attend the 4 courses I need to do as well as IRT, prep, acclimatisation, RAFFT, CCS and kitting etc. Journeys would involve at least one overnight stay. At the moment my clothing card is in storage at Air Cmd as I don't wear uniform! My JPA and trade skills have faded a bit since being 'out of trade' so I may be a burden OOA without refreshing these skills.

Additionally I am due to be posted end Oct as my job is being civilianised. If I am deferred until after my posting my family will have access to proper welfare and admin support - if I go now they will have nothing.

What do you think? Should I ask or should I just take it on the chin and hope that everything goes okay? I know I can rely on you for honest answers with no punches pulled!

zyonsbimp

LAC
Ladies & gents, if you are in a Chf Clk role or similar I would be grateful for a bit of impartial advice. I was in a Chf Clk role a few years back and if someone had come to me with a case like mine I don't think I would have been very sympathetic!

I have just been notified of my next OOA, due Jul this year, immediate reserve. I have no problems going and look forward to the healthier lifestyle, extra training etc, as well as the bonhomie that is generated OOA. However, the timing isn't great so I want to defer for 2 roulements (8 months).

Basically I am part of the diaspora - I am the only military person where I am posted. The rest are civvies and civil servants. There is an Army base nearby that provides medical and dental care only - no MT, Admin, Supply, Welfare, CCS or Fitness Testing for non-battalion personnel. My parent unit is 270 miles away and would take 5 hours to get there - I have never been there!

If I went OOA now I would spend the following 4 months travelling to attend the 4 courses I need to do as well as IRT, prep, acclimatisation, RAFFT, CCS and kitting etc. Journeys would involve at least one overnight stay. At the moment my clothing card is in storage at Air Cmd as I don't wear uniform! My JPA and trade skills have faded a bit since being 'out of trade' so I may be a burden OOA without refreshing these skills.

Additionally I am due to be posted end Oct as my job is being civilianised. If I am deferred until after my posting my family will have access to proper welfare and admin support - if I go now they will have nothing.

What do you think? Should I ask or should I just take it on the chin and hope that everything goes okay? I know I can rely on you for honest answers with no punches pulled!

Ask, the worst they can say is "No". Just stress that you are not trying to avoid the det just defer it otherwise they get funny. If they get funny there is a lot of welfare support that will help you to get them to see your way of thinking.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Not sure if there's enough to hang your hat on there. Yes, prep would be difficult but not impossible and there is of course no guarantee that you would be in a better position after Assignment on disestablishment. Clearly, if there is more info that you don't want to publish on the forum then your case could be stronger, but I wouldn't be able to support a deferral on what you have provided so far.

Mightierthan

Corporal
Thanks Tommo; it's difficult to remain dispassionate when it's your own family. I think you are right. The only advantage we would have is that my family would have on-hand access to welfare support and be able to meet with other wives in a similar situation, instead of everything remote at the moment.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Gotta ask, and bearing in mind I am a Stacker, I take it you are FS/WO, having been a Chf Clerk. Have you ever deferred before? If you have carried out all your previous OOAs on time, without any hassles I don't see why not. I have had lads short noticed because of some really stupid reasons, so why not use your rank and background? Its meant to get easier as you get higher!

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Tend to agree with the Big Fella here, whilst it may be difficult it's not impossible and there are people from other trades that we would tell to man up and get on with it. I went OOA from overseas last year and I know pers from Cyprus have also done it and whilst difficult it is possible.

BTW, if it attracts the Op Allce, I'll go:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Mightierthan

Corporal
Gotta ask, and bearing in mind I am a Stacker, I take it you are FS/WO, having been a Chf Clerk. Have you ever deferred before? If you have carried out all your previous OOAs on time, without any hassles I don't see why not. I have had lads short noticed because of some really stupid reasons, so why not use your rank and background? Its meant to get easier as you get higher!

I haven't deferred before and do enjoy OOAs in the main so have no problems with going, just with the time.

Unfortunately I don't think it does get easier with higher rank as, especially in our trade, there ain't that many of us. Also, don't think I could find it in my heart to push too much if someone else is going to be disproportionately disadvantaged just so I can be advantaged, if you see what I mean.

I will sound out the CM though; who knows, the person due to go after me may want to go earlier so it could all work out fine.

Mightierthan

Corporal
BTW, if it attracts the Op Allce, I'll go:pDT_Xtremez_42:

lol, it does! Thank you for making me smile for the first time today!

Then again, the Op Allce will probably pay for the holiday that I'll have to cancel! Haven't got round to taking out insurance yet :pDT_Xtremez_09:

C

CC

The other thing here is you don't have to be prepped by your 'Parent Unit' if it would make life simpler to be prepped by a more local RAF unit. We're just doing the very same thing for someone in your position. Speak with A1 Ops.

As for a deferment, I have to agree with Tommo, it's not the strongest of cases.

You whingeing git!!

You're in a job that starrts on Tuesday morning, finishes on Thursday afternoon and gives you Wednesdays off for sport - Some people are never happy.

Clerks - They never stop moaning.

Mightierthan

Corporal
You whingeing git!!

You're in a job that starrts on Tuesday morning, finishes on Thursday afternoon and gives you Wednesdays off for sport - Some people are never happy.

Clerks - They never stop moaning.

How dare you sir! Well, that may have been true last year but now I've got 2 jobs and my two afternoons each week for sport have had to stop! I'll brief you next week because... err... I'm not in work tomorrow

:pDT_Xtremez_42:http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...ve&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&ei=aGCLTd2uNtCwhAeD3KXHDQ