• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Discharged from the Army, what about the RAF?

mos95

LAC
Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums and just looking for opinions and advice.

I was successfully selected for the British Army and began phase 1 training in March 2017. At the end of my 6th week, I decided it wasn't for me because I wasn't enjoying myself and didn't feel motivated. I have now put this down to a lack of self believe/confidence. I had good reports and was told I could pass the course easy if I put my mind to it, but my heart was set on leaving.

Since being back home on civvi street (and the fact I'd have been passing out this Friday coming), I've realised I've made a huge mistake. I'm not sure whether I'd choose to go back to the Army, but I have definitely considered the RAF.

I was just wondering if this is quite a common thing for RAF recruiters to see? Also, because I discharged from the Army in training, does this go against me?

The only doubt I have is that if I didn't enjoy myself during Army training, will I enjoy the RAF's basic training? I know it's 4 weeks shorter and I'd have been more than halfway through it.

Thanks

Paul

Hi mos, 26 years ago I was in a similar position, I'd jacked in the Army during Basic Training, the only difference was I had a 4 year gap between leaving the Army and joining the RAF, going to a 25 year career.

I can't speak for recruiters now, but I had more interviews than my peers I joined with, the recruiters were very interested in my reasons for leaving the Army and whether I was going to be a waste of a space if they gave me a crack at the RAF, valid questions IMHO.

As for RAF Basic Training, I really enjoyed it, but that was six weeks at RAF Swinderby, way more fun than the Army, treated more like an adult, which remained true for the rest of my career..

You can but ask, good luck.

Paul, it does sound like you MAY have something to offer to the the Service, but you are not at all convincing. My advice would be to sit on your hands, whilst you enjoy a slice of outside life. If, after 6 months or so, you think you are bringing in something to the table, then apply.
Whilst numbers aren't great at the moment it does not mean that the RAF will accept any Tom, Dick or Harry. It is still selective; necessarily so.