• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dirty Thirty

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Don't know about the dirty bit (never heard that one) but the thirty comes from donkey's years ago when a painter was told to go and paint 29 in roman numerals on an aircraft. After asking what 30 was in said numerals he was told XX one X, resulting in XXX (thick tw@t).

T

TheBull

Of course it is. I'd been told that years ago but forgot.

The dirty bit I think is just a bit of inter-sqn banter I think. In the same vein as "****ty Six".

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Don't know about the dirty bit (never heard that one) but the thirty comes from donkey's years ago when a painter was told to go and paint 29 in roman numerals on an aircraft. After asking what 30 was in said numerals he was told XX one X, resulting in XXX (thick tw@t).

If this one was on Mythbusters, it would be busted. The XXX markings on 29 Sqn aircraft dates back to the 1920's when fighter squadrons were allocated ID markings for their aircraft which covered most of the fuselarge and upper wings. Hence 85 Sqn got red and black boxs, 54 got blue and yellow and 29 got red X's on a white background (with a red stripe on the top and bottom of the 'X's'). 29's aircraft types though the late 1920's and early 1930's didn't always have three X's, most of the uper wing markings had 4, while the Bulldog aircraft's short fuselarge only carried two. It was only when Sqn marking 'bar's' either side of the fuselarge Roundel came in one the early jet fighters, did 29's bar marking's become standardised with three X's on each bar.

Examples of 29's X markings in all of their forms Here

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
I'd love to know the definitative version of how 6 got their nickname, Sh!tty Six. I heard it was something to do with the aircrew abandoning their groundcrew during WW1 and that they were also banished from the UK's shores until the 1950's for the same reason.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
If this one was on Mythbusters, it would be busted. The XXX markings on 29 Sqn aircraft dates back to the 1920's when fighter squadrons were allocated ID markings for their aircraft which covered most of the fuselarge and upper wings. Hence 85 Sqn got red and black boxs, 54 got blue and yellow and 29 got red X's on a white background (with a red stripe on the top and bottom of the 'X's'). 29's aircraft types though the late 1920's and early 1930's didn't always have three X's, most of the uper wing markings had 4, while the Bulldog aircraft's short fuselarge only carried two. It was only when Sqn marking 'bar's' either side of the fuselarge Roundel came in one the early jet fighters, did 29's bar marking's become standardised with three X's on each bar.

Examples of 29's X markings in all of their forms Here

Nice one MJ, only relaying what I was told by an ex 29 mate in the late 80s.:pDT_Xtremez_19: