• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Desperate Nurse transfer advice!!!

Micah17

LAC
Hi everyone, newbie here. I just needed a bit of advice on a rather bold career move that I'm about to take. I've been in the army for 9yrs but have recently qualified as a Adult Nurse in the QARANC with 1yrs experience at an MDHU. I'm also a substantive Cpl. To keep it short, I want to transfer to RAF where I feel I'll be treated like a human being and dont face the daunting prospect of being shipped off to a Field unit/Med Regt where I'll be forced to stack shelves/tentage while I battle the powers that be to get a few hours of clinical experience to maintain my competencies.
Most of my RAF nursing colleagues brag about spending most of their careers doing what they actually trained for in an MDHU.
I also feel that the RAF will offer more stability for my family as they seem to be more supportive of 5yr postings etc (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
So if possible could I get some advice on the following:
  • Will I have to go through basic training all over again
  • Will I lose my Cpl rank
  • I'm currently in the 2nd year of my 3yr posting, will I have to complete my posting before I can transfer if successful
  • Are there any positions in the PMRAFNS for a registered transfer nurse
  • What's the work/life balance like in the RAF as compared to the Army

Sorry for the long winded post guys but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Penfold on here is our resident male nurse.. Drop him a PM as he may be able to offer some advice.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
The nurse recruiter at Cranwell will be able to give you a better idea of the RAF requirements, if you PM me I can send you their direct contact details.

What you will have to be wary of is the fact that the Army has paid for you to do a 3 year degree course at BCU as a remuster and so will, understandably, be reluctant to release you to another Service. It will also depend on the current Manning levels for nurses within the Army. If they are down on numbers then the chances of you being released are slim.

I would also question the motivation here, if you think that you trained as a military nurse just to sit in an DMG hospital then maybe you should consider a non-military route. If you get posted to DARTs, TMW, PHC then it will be similar to a Med Regt and these roles are very disruptive on family life.

Get in touch with Cranwell and find out if we are accepting transfers but it is a brave decision to make.

The other option is to consider signing off and possibly rejoining in the RAF as a NO or non-Commissioned but thats risky as well. Just remember the RAF don't want nurses who only want to sit in a hospital because its suits their family situation.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
The nurse recruiter at Cranwell will be able to give you a better idea of the RAF requirements, if you PM me I can send you their direct contact details.

What you will have to be wary of is the fact that the Army has paid for you to do a 3 year degree course at BCU as a remuster and so will, understandably, be reluctant to release you to another Service. It will also depend on the current Manning levels for nurses within the Army. If they are down on numbers then the chances of you being released are slim.

I would also question the motivation here, if you think that you trained as a military nurse just to sit in an DMG hospital then maybe you should consider a non-military route. If you get posted to DARTs, TMW, PHC then it will be similar to a Med Regt and these roles are very disruptive on family life.

Get in touch with Cranwell and find out if we are accepting transfers but it is a brave decision to make.

The other option is to consider signing off and possibly rejoining in the RAF as a NO or non-Commissioned but thats risky as well. Just remember the RAF don't want nurses who only want to sit in a hospital because its suits their family situation.

Pen, already Pm'd, I literally work two doors down from the MDLT guys so I'll be having a chat with them.

Hi everyone, newbie here. I just needed a bit of advice on a rather bold career move that I'm about to take. I've been in the army for 9yrs but have recently qualified as a Adult Nurse in the QARANC with 1yrs experience at an MDHU. I'm also a substantive Cpl. To keep it short, I want to transfer to RAF where I feel I'll be treated like a human being and dont face the daunting prospect of being shipped off to a Field unit/Med Regt where I'll be forced to stack shelves/tentage while I battle the powers that be to get a few hours of clinical experience to maintain my competencies.
Most of my RAF nursing colleagues brag about spending most of their careers doing what they actually trained for in an MDHU.
I also feel that the RAF will offer more stability for my family as they seem to be more supportive of 5yr postings etc (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
So if possible could I get some advice on the following:
  • Will I have to go through basic training all over again
  • Will I lose my Cpl rank
  • I'm currently in the 2nd year of my 3yr posting, will I have to complete my posting before I can transfer if successful
  • Are there any positions in the PMRAFNS for a registered transfer nurse
  • What's the work/life balance like in the RAF as compared to the Army

Sorry for the long winded post guys but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

You will get your clinical time at FH or MR as an other rank. It's the Officers that struggle IMHO. 150hrs PY isn't that much to sort out really, and with Nurse Revalidation you can quote HcG to your CoC if things get awkward. IMHO FH & MR offer a chance to get out of the DMG environment for a bit, which is nice and also supports a broader SJAR. I know Penfold well and I've done/am doing time in both environments.