• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Desert Boots - which are the best?

Just picked up my gear ready for OOA to Afg in June. Got issued 3 pairs of Dessie Boots. Lowa, Magnums & Meindl. From your experience, which make were/are the best for comfort?

Last edited:

Kiwistacker

Clinically Insane
Just picked up my gear ready for OOA to Afg in June. Got issued 3 pairs of Dessie Boots. Lowa, Magnums & Meindl. From your experience, which make were/are the best for comfort?

jeez man are you a spider? How many pairs??

Sent via Morse from a tappity thing.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
It all depends on what you are doing, for cutting about on a MOB then Magnums will be your best bet. For travel out of the wire/foot patrols etc it should be Lowas or Meindls, this is when it comes down to personal preference. I prefer Lowas as they are shorter in height so dont come as far up your leg (but then I am 4'11" and suffer from shin splints). I wouldn't take all three and if you can make do with just the one pair (Lowas or Meindls) then I would do that.

sulky

SAC
i always took 1 pair of magnums and 3 spare pairs of magnum insoles so you always have dry boots every morning..ie no sweaty insoles ...and the spares for when you do an extra long shift and feel the need to change sweaty socks/insoles....nothing better than taking 15 mins out from some random aircraft work ..airing your feet and then having fresh socks and dry insoles

see here

http://www.polimil.co.uk/magnum-m-pact-insoles.html

Last edited:
jeez man are you a spider? How many pairs??

That is the standard issue now. The MTP kit is really good, far better than the old Dessie stuff. You get issued with pretty much everything that you will need during your tour.

The reason that I asked about the boots is that I have only ever worn the Magnums on my 4 previous trips to the 'Gan. I still have my old favourite pair that are well broken in, just wondering how the other makes stand up. Like I said the Lowa boots feel real comfortable when I tried them on.

Sent via Morse from a tappity thing.

Sent via Morse from a tappity thing.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I have Lowas and Magnums, didn't even bother packing the Magnums this time, Lowas are like carpet slippers

Kiwistacker

Clinically Insane
I have a pair of Australian desi boots. They are absolutely the dog's bolx when it comes to comfort. In my opinion better than anything the RAF supplied, certainly when I left in 2007. I wore them in Kuwait and Kandahar and they were just brilliant.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
the idea is the lowas/ miendls are your patrol boots and the magnum are for cutting about camp in. The reality seems to be you either fit lowas or miendls, the ones that dont fit rip your feet apart. miendls destroyed my feet inside a 24 hr shift in telic, lowas on the other hand have seen me through another 5 tours and third of this sixth one so far. I swear by them. JUst walk the dog in each and see which feel better.

Cake or Death

That is sound advice. I have 2 dogs so lots of walks involved. I will test out the Lowa's and keep my old Magnums as a back-up just in case.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I had the same dilemma, walk about in both pairs, I'm wearing meindl's at the mo out in bsn. The magnums irritated my ankles.

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
I will be deploying later this year for the 3rd time in 2 years, wore Lowa's the 1st time - sturdy but felt really heavy, the weight isn't distributed around the boot evenly so if you need to break into even a light jog - they feel like moon boots swinging from your ankles, gave me no end of shin issues and over stretched calves. Magnums are okay but the polar opposite of Lowa's - very lightweight - almost slipper-esque, however not very much support, as mentioned, good for pottering about BSN or KAF if that's where you'll be. Meindl's are my personal choice having spent ample time now in all 3. A good balance between the comfort of Magnums and the support of Lowa's, the weight is nice and even, the lacing on them is far quicker for removing/fitting and of the 3 - they are by far the most aesthetically pleasing - and everyone likes to look "Ali" in the mess :pDT_Xtremez_31: hey?! Of course this is all subjective, make sure you are 100% happy with the ones you take, it'll be nigh on impossible to exchange once out there, and you'll be in them a lot. Unfortunately I learned the hard way doing 12 on 12 off shifts for 3 months!

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Meindl's are the way forward IMO. Lowa make a fine black boot but a siht desert one..

miniboo

SAC
I am going later in the year and will apparently be getting the new brown haix boots. Look like a cross between low a and meindl. Hopefully they will be comfy or it will be my magnum slippers for the duration

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
My Meindls are on their second tour and are ace. They took a bit of breaking in but well worth it. I found that my Magnums just fell apart, yes they were very comfy but gave no support. Others have given good advice wear both pairs on a good walk out and judge what is best for you.