• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commuting time served when commisioning?

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Alright chaps?

Have just got the ball rolling for commision. I was wondering if when you go from the ranks, any of your time served goes towards your time as a zob? For example, a guy that has done 10 years, does he get half of that taken off his time required to serve as an officer?

Apologies if this has been asked before!

Chump

duffman

Flight Sergeant
For pension purposes, I think it is two thirds of your time in, so you'd be 6 years towards an officers pension.

T

tacadmin

It's an odd one this. But I think that all of your reckonable service to date 'counts' as time served, but your time as an Officer obviously starts from the date of your commission.
Depends why you're asking the question? Pension calculator will work out your pension and take all service into account (I don't know how it calculates it though!)
You will be offered new Terms of Service on commissioning, and how much service they offer will depend on how long you have left on your current engagement etc - as you have to serve a minimum numer of years as a zob.
Your pay, and time promotion to Flt Lt, all depend on what rank you are now and how much you earn etc.
I had a good look at all of this for one of my 'techie' work colleagues last week and this lots of variations. I'm sure you can find it in 3393 - have a look on the intranet ;)

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
The question really has a 2-part answer. The length of commission you are offered will be the same as a direct entrant of othewise similar circumstances, so if you are offered a permanent commission it will be for 18 years (or to age 55, if sooner), irrespective of time served in the ranks. This way you get the same opportunities for promotion as direct entrants (initially, anyway).

Pensions are more complicated and a full answer is only available from JPAC. However, time served in the ranks qualifies towards your officer pension, although only from age 21 if you are on the old scheme.

You should not lose out financially for making the crossover and a comprehensive, tailor-made, pension brief will be given to you in the last few weeks of IOT.

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Cor blimey! I thought it would be straightforward! How foolish am I???

Thanks for all the gen, guys. I was under the impression they halved your time served and took it off your commissioned time served! What a mine field of an Admin nightmare this whole scenario is. Like all things, it can't be black and white, can it?

Thanks again, but if anyone has any more info, it will be appreciated!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Nope, you get the full whack, excepting non-reckonable NC service (up to the 18th Birthday in my case). It's actually quite a sweet deal as pension is calculated on your rank on exit in a full commission (or I did).

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Cor blimey! I thought it would be straightforward! How foolish am I???

Thanks for all the gen, guys. I was under the impression they halved your time served and took it off your commissioned time served! What a mine field of an Admin nightmare this whole scenario is. Like all things, it can't be black and white, can it?

Thanks again, but if anyone has any more info, it will be appreciated!

Well I won't be fcuking saluting you for starters......... I may punch you and trip you over, but there'll be no saluting! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Last edited:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
When all those Commissioning from the ranks had an admin brief we were all told that you previous time served is all counted so if you have done 10 years you have 10 years towards you recognisable service.

You still have to do 18 years to qualify and from the age of 21 so if you joined at 18 and have done 10 years only 7 will count.

Finally if you are signed on a SSC then you have to complete that before you become eligible eg I have done over 18 yrs recognisable service and although have now been signed on to a MC i stll have to complete the initial 6 years of my SSC before I can claim my pension.

So to sum up all years from age 21 count, have to do 18 to get a pension and if you do Commission 6yrs min before you can think of leaving (remember not all zobs get extensions to their SSC)

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Well I won't be fcuking saluting you for starters......... I may punch you and trip you over, but there'll be no saluting! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

I expect nothing else from you, Fomz. In fact, a punch after being tripped would be welcome after turning my back on the illustrious job that is TCW! Nice to know you're still alive and kicking (or punching!) you old bar steward! x x x