• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commission from Ranks means new Pension scheme?

M

MrNightingale

Hello one and all.

I have just passed my 11 year point, and i am now seriously considering my options.

If i were to apply, and be successful at OASC would i HAVE to swop to the new AFPS scheme, given that i elected to remain on AFPS75 some time ago?

I appreciate any advice.

(p.s. I have sent off emails, but await formal response!)

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I have read it stated as 'personnel had a one off chance of transferring to AFPS 05'. Having to change on re-engagement etc is an urban myth AFAIK.

P

pie sandwich

Your best off asking/pm-ing True Blue Jack, he is a shiney who is going through the commissioning process at the moment so he will be the man in the know.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Having actually Commissioned from the Ranks I remained on the old Pension Scheme, and at no time was told I could not, however what you must be aware of is an Officers pesion is calculated from age 21 NOT age 18 as Airmen therefore if you have done 11 years but joined at 18 then you have only 8 years to carry over to your Officers pension calculation. Something to bear in mind, towards the end of your time at Cranwell all those who Commissioned from the masses go to a lecture hall to and chat with experienced shineys with regards such issues.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
an Officers pesion is calculated from age 21 NOT age 18 as Airmen therefore if you have done 11 years but joined at 18 then you have only 8 years to carry over to your Officers pension calculation.

A valid point, counter-balanced by the fact that - on AFPS75 - an officer's immediate pension point is after 16 years' service instead of 22 for airmen.

M

MrNightingale

OK. I was 22 when i attested so that is covered.

Assuming i am successful does each year of my previous service count as a full year toward my pension on the Officer side of the fence?...(i.e.) If i've done 12 years by the time i'm out of Cranditz, and i'm offered a 6 year Short Service Commission does this mean i could PVR after 3 years and achieve an IP from my 16 year point?

Thanks for any advice.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
You would be looking at 4 years commissioned service to take you up to 16 years total service, but otherwise, yes, that is how I understand it. There are lots of other issues to consider, including the fact that officers who PVR forfeit part of their pension (5% if memory serves).

Frankly, you have plenty more hoops to jump through before you have to worry about the finer issues. I intend to wait until I am the other side of the sausage factory before I look any more deeply into pensions and then I shall be asking SPVA who are the only ones who can advise fully (and who can be sued if their advice turns out to be bogus).

pension on commisioning

pension on commisioning

Hi - You stay on the AFPS75 but instead of getting your pension at the 38/16 point (aged 38 or 16 years service which ever if the later) you get a 40/18 point which is the same as the new scheme. However your pension relates to the old scheme rates it is only the 2 years differnce in when you can get at it.

Also as an airman you will also get another 16 years service on top of what you have done (unless that makes you more than 55 which I doubt).

You need to be aware that to get your pension at the 40/18 point you will need to PVR and than mean about £1300 per year off your pension.

I know this because Employment Casework are looking at my Terms of Service as I will have to do 25 years service to get my pension without PVR rates.!!!

M

MrNightingale

Well, i passed OASC and start SERE very soon. I've completed more than 12 years now but i'm no clearer on pensions, etc.

Some said only 6 of my 12 years will count! Others say i will have to complete the 6 year SSC they have offered me- even though i need only serve for 16 years to I.P on AFPS75!!

Its a mystery.

Any thoughts?

JPAC couldn't help.....letter sent to Glasgow.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Hi - You stay on the AFPS75 but instead of getting your pension at the 38/16 point (aged 38 or 16 years service which ever if the later) you get a 40/18 point which is the same as the new scheme. However your pension relates to the old scheme rates it is only the 2 years differnce in when you can get at it.

Also as an airman you will also get another 16 years service on top of what you have done (unless that makes you more than 55 which I doubt).

You need to be aware that to get your pension at the 40/18 point you will need to PVR and than mean about £1300 per year off your pension.

I know this because Employment Casework are looking at my Terms of Service as I will have to do 25 years service to get my pension without PVR rates.!!!

Well, i passed OASC and start SERE very soon. I've completed more than 12 years now but i'm no clearer on pensions, etc.

Some said only 6 of my 12 years will count! Others say i will have to complete the 6 year SSC they have offered me- even though i need only serve for 16 years to I.P on AFPS75!!

Its a mystery.

Any thoughts?

JPAC couldn't help.....letter sent to Glasgow.

As stated in the above you cannot go from the old to the new pension as you have already made the choice. All service qualifies as time served (unless U21 but you are not). You have to serve the minimum 6 yrs SSC if you are elidgible for a pension at that point, then you can leave if you are short by a few days then no immediate pension right (thats my understanding).

There is often confusion for nurses because graduation rank depends on how long you have been qualified as a nurse and it is this time that gets halved to calculate you seniority.