• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarification on job role

Hey guys

I've been wanting to join to RAF as a firefighter for a while, been in the ATC, grandparents firefighters in the Blitz being some of the reasons as well as feeling trapped where i live

However through my research into firefighters in the RAF, i can't really find that much information, alot of the threads i read are from years ago or just talk about Volleyball haha

So my question is; what do you actually do as firefighters in general? (I understand there are not many large scale fires), Do you get oppertunities to go abroad/if so where? and is the life, commitment and wage satisfying

No BS please, just trying to get an honest evaluation of what it is actually like

Thanks for reading :)

lsmall

LAC
Most of the Firefighters I know spend a lot of time doing preparation work for routine deployments and also for local emergencies. I know there's a strong emphasis on exercises and training throughout. Yes, a lot of volleyball is played....

How satisfying the job is I don't know.....

briggfairy

Sergeant
Firefighters do have one of the Highest ooa turnaround times, I can't remember how often but remember it being quite Sharp, as for postings I know that scampton has turned civvy and I believe akrotiri is the same so you may be restricted to a handful of flying bases, that said I'm no expert and I'm sure one will be along soon to set the record straight

BJW

Corporal
Firefighters do have one of the Highest ooa turnaround times, I can't remember how often but remember it being quite Sharp, as for postings I know that scampton has turned civvy and I believe akrotiri is the same so you may be restricted to a handful of flying bases, that said I'm no expert and I'm sure one will be along soon to set the record straight

Still RAF Firefighters at Akrotiri, but some locals as well