• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Civvies staying in messes

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Seeing the discussion about Mess life reminded me of this....
As a civil servant I have to travel regularly, mainly to HQs but sometimes to units. At the moment if I stay overnight I usually opt for hotel but can ask for a Mess room if one is available. In my experience, even O Mess 'transit' rooms are spartan and uninviting, frequently without basic hotel facilities. (Double bed, Tea & coffee, TV etc). I also respect the fact that as I am a Mr I have no right of admission to any Mess.
From Apr 2016, they are working to make Mess accommodation the default answer for CS when visiting units. So my questions are;
Have Mess transit rooms (SNCO's & Officers') been drastically improved to hotel standards and how do Mess members (particularly livers in) feel about a possible influx of visitors?

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
No problem as long as the mess management have final approval of the booking.
I wouldn't be happy if my booking for a social event was bumped for a civvy on a course/visit.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Highflyer

LAC
I've got no dramas with civvies in the mess. Why should they get hotac when we can't, cost saving and all that...

I agree totally if they are filling the boots of a service person because of cost saving measures then why should they not stay in the mess like everyone else, it would be a dam site cheaper especially when visiting london areas.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Have Mess transit rooms (SNCO's & Officers') been drastically improved to hotel standards and how do Mess members (particularly livers in) feel about a possible influx of visitors?

Much depends upon where you go. In Shrivenham its a PFI so it pretty much is a hotel room with all the facs. (I even stayed in a disabled fit room). In others, the transit often does hav a towel and tea and coffee facilities - in others nothing at all. In some, I am guessing encouraging ppl to stay isn't a high priority in established messes because it's actually someones home as well - and no-one wants their home regularly raped by strangers 5 days a week.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As a coffin dodging, job stealing, oxygen thieving, civvy scum bag, civil serpent I jump at the chance to stay in the mess rather than some poxy travel lodge type establishment. As a former old folks mess member it's chance to "When I" the rest of the bar to death, to drink cheap beer, tell endless boring war stories, wax lyrical about "when I was in the mob" as a general rule the regulars love drunken old civvies talking for hours about camps that have been shut for years.

On a serious note given the choice between the mess and a travel lodge it's the mess every time for me, yes it may be a bit Spartan but one day it will be my last mess visit and I don't want to miss out on that.