• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CILOCT to go for Overseas personnel?

A mate of mine told me that he had heard (via someone's Auntie's friends cat no doubt) that CILOCT was to be stopped for personnel posted to Cyprus in order to make the overseas tour more appealing as they are struggling to get people to commit to tours out there.

I didn't think there was much in it to be honest but when I read this:

*****************************Link removed. Posting links to / from the intranet is forbidden**********************

It made me wonder whether there is any truth in it.

Seeing as the charge is around £100 a month, this would equate to £3,600 over a standard 3 year tour. Would it be that much of an incentive for personnel? Is it fair to those who still pay it etc? If it is brought in can I ask for a rebate for the two tours that I did out there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenbophaw

LAC
It is definately happening wef 01 April. However, with increase in NI deductions and whatever CAAS costs will be; it will be interesting to see if there are any savings at all.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Main problem is JOINTERY......

Other secondary problems are wife having a job/career in the Uk as a 2nd income.

Kids settled in school etc.

Fabric of society has changed and the MOD still do not get it!

CILOCT would not have any bearing in my view.

Kenbophaw

LAC
There is very little attraction anymore - the financial package isn't there, jobs for spouses are few and far between and due to operational tempo, it's no longer the sunshine tour it was for the majority of people.

This is a poor incentive when the rest of the 'allowances' are so unfairly weighted.

Example 1. If you are single/unaccompanied (S/U) you don't pay this, or accommodation anyway. You also get the same houses/apartments that the family's get, but as a S/U you get approx. 3 x more LOA than a person who has to feed his wife & kids, whilst (most likely) loosing a 2nd Income!

Result = S/U 1 - Family's 0 :encouragement:

I could continue to produce a long list of disadvantages for family's risking overseas posts........

This is a poor incentive when the rest of the 'allowances' are so unfairly weighted.

Example 1. If you are single/unaccompanied (S/U) you don't pay this, or accommodation anyway. You also get the same houses/apartments that the family's get, but as a S/U you get approx. 3 x more LOA than a person who has to feed his wife & kids, whilst (most likely) loosing a 2nd Income!

Result = S/U 1 - Family's 0 :encouragement:

I could continue to produce a long list of disadvantages for family's risking overseas posts........

Some huge factual inaccuracies in your post there!!!

If a singly/unacc lives in the block then they pay standard accom (including CILOCT) as they would in the UK. If there is no block, they are given accom (overseas equivalent of SSSA) which may or may not be similar to houses/apartments the pads get. For this they pay accom (and CILOCT) as if they were in the block. Admittedly the CILCOT is a tiny amount, put it is paid - and actually has not been stopped for overseas people like it has for the pads.

Singlies do not receive 3 x the LOA of pads. You may be confusing this with LOSLOA - the living out supplement, which is paid to single/unacc who live out due to there being no blocks. This is to cover the extra cost between eating in the mess vs having to buy your own food, cleaning products (no cleaners for communal areas etc), lightbulbs (no going to stores for new ones) and such like. You might think it is unfair, but someone has worked out the extra costs against someone who lives in the block and has a mess available to them, whether they decide to use it or not. It is not extra LOA, it is a supplement - they still get standard LOA as do the singlies in the block - it is a much lower amount than an accompanied guy with kids!!

If there is anything unfair I would say it is the GYH(O) travel from mainland Europe. Currently capped at £124 plus notional mileage to/fro airports and home/leave address. Family of 5 piles into the car and takes the Eurotunnel, entitled to £620 plus mileage. Single guy does the same, only entitled to £124 - try and get the Eurotunnel for that except at ridiculous times of the day/night.

Singly Disturbance - doubled to £200. Once you have bought out of your UK phone contract, got a European one, arranged internet in the block/substitute accom you will have spent way more than that.

I'm not moaning - went overseas with my eyes open, but comments like the above need to be corrected before others make decisions or get worked up for no reason based on them.