• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Childcare At Your Station

The standard of childcare varies from Station to Station but generally the Acorn Childcare Centre at the the Shropshire Aeronautical College was deemed to be a good place to leave your kids. The Centre had been awarded 2 consecutive "outstanding" Awards by Ofsted when it had been formally inspected and a happy, friendly environment seemed the norm.

Then the risk adverse Station management washed their hands of the "risk"and gave the facility over to a national organisation. Within weeks the place is deemed inadequate by Ofsted, staff are leaving and the new providers have yet to reinvest a single penny!

The message to all you parents - fight for what you have, a Station run Nursery is as good as you want it to be. Check out the web for Station Nurseries run by a national organisation. Then phone the Nursery manager and enquire to how good things are under the new broom. You may well be disappointed with the response. Good Luck.

Old Wobbly;639284]The standard of childcare varies from Station to Station but generally the Acorn Childcare Centre at the the Shropshire Aeronautical College was deemed to be a good place to leave your kids. The Centre had been awarded 2 consecutive "outstanding" Awards by Ofsted when it had been formally inspected and a happy, friendly environment seemed the norm.

Then the risk adverse Station management washed their hands of the "risk"and gave the facility over to a national organisation. Within weeks the place is deemed inadequate by Ofsted, staff are leaving and the new providers have yet to reinvest a single penny!

The message to all you parents - fight for what you have, a Station run Nursery is as good as you want it to be. Check out the web for Station Nurseries run by a national organisation. Then phone the Nursery manager and enquire to how good things are under the new broom. You may well be disappointed with the response. Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

Sorry chaps! not sure what button old wobbly pressed there but I appear to have duplicated my original post.

A quick update on that national charity F'Four Children that is raking in the cash, sorry I meant managing the Station Childcare facilities. Well they have just gone bust. So be careful who you are handing your childcare vouchers to!

Although, don't panic, another shifty company is knocking on the door to pick over the bones!

Its a fact and if you have kids it will likely have an effect on you. They control a total 24 childcare facilities. They promise the earth on takeover and deliver nothing. If your Station Nursery is tied to this bunch then hold tightly onto your hard earned cash, cos you won't see it again regardles of well meaning promises. The is a strict pecking order in the redistribution of any funds and you will be way behind their major creditors.

Sticky fingers you are right on both counts. The childcare facility in question has a top manager working her socks off with little or no support from station or money grabbing chidcare agencies. The staff have been decimated with few replacements. The outgoing agency has never paid a bill and will leave a slimy trail in their wake. All the good built up in the local community with traders and businesses over many years is being eroded.

If the parents (the customer) don't make a strong stand and demand improvements and the manager decided to walk, the station would be left with an extremely poor facility where 12 months ago stood a childcare centre that was the envy of many.

The standard of childcare varies from Station to Station but generally the Acorn Childcare Centre at the the Shropshire Aeronautical College was deemed to be a good place to leave your kids. The Centre had been awarded 2 consecutive "outstanding" Awards by Ofsted when it had been formally inspected and a happy, friendly environment seemed the norm.Then the risk adverse Station management washed their hands of the "risk"and gave the facility over to a national organisation. Within weeks the place is deemed inadequate by Ofsted, staff are leaving and the new providers have yet to reinvest a single penny!The message to all you parents - fight for what you have, a Station run Nursery is as good as you want it to be. Check out the web for Station Nurseries run by a national organisation. Then phone the Nursery manager and enquire to how good things are under the new broom. You may well be disappointed with the response. Good Luck.

Completely disagree with who's to blame here. Station management were just looking for something to put on their CV before moving to their next camp. This happens all the time.

The charity had trustees who were suppose to safeguard it.They completely folded and did what they were told by station management rather that carrying out their duties as trustees. They completely ignored warning by us parents in meetings that 4Children were heavily in the red and had very bad ofsted inspections all over the country. The trustees were also warned that if they didn't sign it over and acorns went under then they would be financially culpable. Bullied into it is what I think.

Have you read the inadequate ofsted report? There was a lot said about management in that report, none of which was anywhere near "top".

Treat your staff well enough so they don't want to leave is what Richard Branson said.

At least with a new new start they have a chance to fix it.

Sticky - speak with Neets the manager on Monday if you still haven't been able to source the report and she will give you a copy. My statement regarding a top manager still holds true. However, with no support from 4 Children and the station walking away she has done incredibly well to hold it all together.

Regarding the Trustee's. Fact. They are still fighting for you. When the take over was annouced behind their backs they were told if they did not support it the station would close the Nursery. There was much more complete bpllox spoken but with 3 of the 4 Trustees Service personnel with one posted their hands were effectively tied.

However, here's a plan. If you have kids in the Nursery, demand to take over the "Friend's Of" Committeee, set your TOR's and then hold the incoming Charities feet to the fire over all aspects of your Nursery. After all you are the paying customer and without your kids there is no business. Good Luck

There are still 4 trustees tasked with ensuring that the residue funds are not frittered away by various rogue agencies. They went to great length, against station wishes, in having a legal document drawn up that specifies what the residue cash can and can't be used for. Typically, it must be spent for the direct benefit of the children and parents and not on infrastructure repair or the provision of cleaning material. Neither should it be used to support other station causes.. The Trustees were typically the Chairman, OC, Secretary and Treasurer. The depth of their responsibilities never caused an issue until the station decided to handover the Nursery. The takeover was carried over in a nasty clandestine manner,mistruths to support the handover and then a done deal. As a group they never supported the handover, just tried to do their best with a very bad job. Gotta go now. Off on hol's but will pick up thread next Friday. Cheers

There are still 4 trustees tasked with ensuring that the residue funds are not frittered away by various rogue agencies. They went to great length, against station wishes, in having a legal document drawn up that specifies what the residue cash can and can't be used for. Typically, it must be spent for the direct benefit of the children and parents and not on infrastructure repair or the provision of cleaning material. Neither should it be used to support other station causes.. The Trustees were typically the Chairman, OC, Secretary and Treasurer. The depth of their responsibilities never caused an issue until the station decided to handover the Nursery. The takeover was carried over in a nasty clandestine manner,mistruths to support the handover and then a done deal. As a group they never supported the handover, just tried to do their best with a very bad job. Gotta go now. Off on hol's but will pick up thread next Friday. Cheers

The trustees decided to hand over the Nursery as they were the ones holding that authority.

Hands were tied? Looks more like they didn't have the balls.

If trustees decided not to let 4Children take over, you really think they would have closed? Rubbish, empty threat as there was no rush and the nursery was in very good health financially at that time.

Top managers support their staff to gain the respect needed for them to want to work for that management. I heard that 1/4 of the staff resigned this summer, if this is true I doubt that the management have the respect of the staff.

From what I have heard only one ex trustee is still showing interest since the handover.

have a nice holiday.

I'm back from that short break, so hopefully can try and answer a few more of your concerns and queries.

The Childcare Centre still does not appear to be back on an even keel and in my opinion there is further for the place to fall in terms of general expectations, staff moral, standards and value for money.

The posters comments regarding poor management need to be answered. The manager is still working balls-out covering dwindling staff numbers, trying to clean the nursery at a weekend and answer the myriad questions a completely inept organisation put to her. Regarding her loosing staff, it is the inability of staff to get behind the manager and support her that is effecting the rest of the staff who then lemming-like jump ship. The blame cannot sit at manager level when her area, regional manager etc provide no support or authority to spend and recruit. management in any sphere only happens with support from above and below.

Regarding the takeover. The OC Admin (old title) and the Station Master (very old title) had decided without any consultation with the trustees that the Nursery would be contracted out, Fact! A particularly nasty piece of work (a very uncivil servant) who should have children's welfare paramount in her TOR's was used to collect information on costs and pricing. Her information, used in the takeover was completely wrong. Ask yourselves,"why didn't the station executives approach the trustees who would have been duty bound to produce accurate figure".

The trustees worked hard to get the best deal. The threat from the very top Station Executives was all to real. The junior members of the trustees were put under direct pressure in their individual workplace to concur with all arrangements. Another was posted and another had complete lies spread about him which, had they been true, would have seen the Charity Commission remove him as a trustee as an undesirable person. I did tell you all early in the posts it was a nasty takeover.

The takeover was delayed for nearly a year by the trustees questioning every aspect of the takeover. The whole takeover plan was full of holes, but you all need to understand that the facility is a station resource and the trustees were responsible for running it. As with any club or organisation on base, there is no ownership of the facility.

The FFour Children Group have managed in 5 months to destroy many years of building up the integrity and good name of the Centre. Regardless of opinion the unpaid traders believe they have been let down by Cosford, not some far off charity. It may be difficult to employ tradespeople in future without money upfront.

The important thing now is for the parents (the customers) to demand 2 meetings. One with station management to let them know how unsatisfactory the present station childcare is. Second is a meeting with the executives of the new charity taking the Centre on. As a group set out your expectations and how you are going to monitor their output. Be advised this group are very anti publicity and will issue idle threats like confetti. Stand up to them. The kids are yours.

Finally get behind the Centre manager. There is serious debate on how much more crap she can take. If she walks, you may have nowhere to leave your little darlings and before someone pipes up about her being easily replaced, the place was a lot poorer before her arrival. Thanks for reading this.

[h=Act in your charity’s best interests]2[/h]You must:

• do what you and your co-trustees (and no one else) decide will best enable the charity to carry out its purposes
  • with your co-trustees, make balanced and adequately informed decisions, thinking about the long term as well as the short term
  • avoid putting yourself in a position where your duty to your charity conflicts with your personal interests or loyalty to any other person or body
  • not receive any benefit from the charity unless it is properly authorised and is clearly in the charity’s interests; this also includes anyone who is financially connected to you, such as a partner, dependent child or business partner

An extract from the charities commission on your legal responsibility as a trustee of a charity

Assimulation-Humiliation. Mate, the trustees were aware of all 4 salient points from the Charities Commision websiteand highlighted them at closed meetings to the Station management. Thanked for their input, the decision was made and agreed off staion that the Nurseryand other Units nurseries will follow (although, now somewhat slower after 4 Children fiasco).

The important thing now is that parents take control of the situation and ensure they and families who follow them have a facility they can have trust in.

I forgot all about this thread until this popped up again,

But I asked some questions this week about the centre and I heard one of the trustees was actually banned from the building.

I don't know why.

So much going in in your post there I don't even know where to start.

I can't see the folk who just walk out of their jobs being "Lemmings" though.

You don't walk out of a job for nothing, bills need paying.

You also seem to have a massive interest in the manager what with saying how good they are and how people should get behind her.

I'd love to hear another side of this story.

Is there a Acorns staff member on here or maybe someone on here is married to one so they can answer some questions?

It is anonymous.

one of the trustees banned from the building??? No way!! Does that have anything to do with the rumours that Old Wobbly was going on about..... Has the charity commission removed that trustee after seeing him as an undesirable person?

Assimulation-Humiliation. Mate, the trustees were aware of all 4 salient points from the Charities Commision websiteand highlighted them at closed meetings to the Station management. Thanked for their input, the decision was made and agreed off staion that the Nurseryand other Units nurseries will follow (although, now somewhat slower after 4 Children fiasco).

The important thing now is that parents take control of the situation and ensure they and families who follow them have a facility they can have trust in.

i agree that it is important for us parents to show our support but demanding things from a manager already at the end of her tether will most likely make things a lot worse.

My argument is it shouldn't have happened in the first place ..... Another extract which I'm sure your aware of.

"Trustees must act collectively (jointly). Part of their role is to critically and objectively review proposals and challenge assumptions in making decisions. No one should be able to direct the trustees or drive decisions through without sufficient consideration. Trustees who simply defer to the opinions and decisions of others aren’t fulfilling their duties."