• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cat C & C1 - what's the RAF difference?

Can a helpful MT person please clarify what I can drive on a Cat C1 on my license please? I'm told that I can drive RWMIK, Snatch 2 and TUH by our MT Cpl, but I'm not so sure and think that I'll need a Cat C in theatre. Any clues?

ailiebird

Corporal
Hello mate.

Below is a link on what cat c & c1 are. As for what you need in theatre will depend on the vehicles you are using. If you need other cats on your licence or vehicles added to your FMT600, this will show on your pre-employment/detatchment paperwork. if so PSF should get the ball rolling by booking any courses (probably Leconfield) or sending you down to MT for familiarisation training.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need more.

regards.

AB

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/Inf45.pdf

Thanks for the reply Ailie. I'm in theatre currently and I reckon from the info you've posted the C1 covers me for Wmik2 (RWMIK). I was covered before on the WMIK1 but the extra ballistic plates they fitted to the WMIK2 took it into a different weight catagory. This potential problem wasn't identified prior to leaving the UK so it meant we lost about a quarter of our available drivers from the flight a month or so into the tour.

ailiebird

Corporal
No probs. Unfortunately these oversights are quite regular, especially with new kit as we don't always get all the gen. Anyway glads to help and hope all of you stay safe.

AB