• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Car Insurance

bkray

LAC
Anybody got the Gen on Car Insurance for the forces? I see these websites offering deals but without giving all your service details, they wont give a quote.

So are they really all they are cracked up to be?

As an 18 year old male, insurance is a killer, and i was wondering if even being a auggie would just knock a few penny's off.

Many Thanks!

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
At 18 years old, you are going to be shafted whoever you talk too.

Last edited:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Military discount on stuff like car insurance is a waste of time IMO. They just quote you a higher price first, then knock off your 'discount'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Martin's money tips...His ideas invariably involve some serious effort for results but if you're up for it...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-young-drivers

Listening to some young drivers on the radio a while back and they had reduced their premiums hugely by having a monitoring device fitted...I think the device they spoke of cost them around £300 but once you've got it you save thousands off your premiums with some companies:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/cut-car-insurance-costs-with-better-driving/0013577/

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
As an 18 year old male, insurance is a killer, and i was wondering if even being a auggie would just knock a few penny's off. Many Thanks!

Jump on your old man's insurance - if he lets you.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Martin's money tips...His ideas invariably involve some serious effort for results but if you're up for it...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-young-drivers

Listening to some young drivers on the radio a while back and they had reduced their premiums hugely by having a monitoring device fitted...I think the device they spoke of cost them around £300 but once you've got it you save thousands off your premiums with some companies:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/cut-car-insurance-costs-with-better-driving/0013577/

Very much against these black boxes in cars. I've attended a few RTCs where they have been fitted, I've then gone to visit those involved for follow ups a few days on after the insurance company and reviewed the data on the box and refused to pay out if their driver was at fault,however they are still obliged to carry out 3rd party repairs. Reasons ranged from being 3-4mph over the speed limit for the road(despite guidelines we use of 10% + 2mph) to driving in an unsafe manner, and they wouldn't say how. Likewise the GPS tracker shows where you have been, so if it looks like you're communting( even if you need to visit the shops every day at the same time theyll void your policy)

Bite the bullet and get decent cover mate, get legal protection as well, as the insurance companies like nothing better then to string people out, let a case go to court if it is in dispute and not help as you didn't ask for legal protection.

Odie

Sergeant
Jump on your old man's insurance - if he lets you.

If the OP is really the main user of the car, but to reduce costs says that the Old Boy or Old Girl is, that's called fronting and is actually illegal:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm :pDT_Xtremez_41: Better to bite the bullet, think of having an unfashionable little car for a few years, start using the comparison websites and individual insurance websites or go to a broker to get ideas of costs, get their own insurance and start building up their own no claims. :pDT_Xtremez_15:

ERT

Corporal
When i was younger, i saved £££ by adding a parent to the insurance. Me still being the Main Driver, with my parent as the named driver.

Still did not stop me having a Group 16 car.. :pDT_Xtremez_26:

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
I once heard on the radio, an article about young drivers insurance. One kid was quoted something like £6000 for a Ford Fiesta worth £700. I think he got it to £2000 in the end.

And they wonder why some people drive without insurance?

I was out on the road all day today and did not see one car crash.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I once heard on the radio, an article about young drivers insurance. One kid was quoted something like £6000 for a Ford Fiesta worth £700. I think he got it to £2000 in the end.

Its not the value of the car the young person drives thats the prime factor in how expensive their insurance is, although obviously it will have a bearing. Its the possibility of them causing an injury accident with the driver of a Mercedes SLK AMG thats the problem.

Mag2grid

Corporal

Can see where you are coming from but these days it's not cheaper to not be insured. Gone are the old days of the£200 fine. Now it's an automatic 6 points, £200 fine, vehicle seizure at between £110-£170 towing fee plus £12-£30 a day storage then if you are involved in an accident the MIB(no not the Will Smith kind) come after you to pay uninsured damage recovery to the third party vehicle plus and personal injury claim...basically you're stuffed if you drive uninsured, rightly so.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can see where you are coming from but these days it's not cheaper to not be insured. Gone are the old days of the£200 fine. Now it's an automatic 6 points, £200 fine, vehicle seizure at between £110-£170 towing fee plus £12-£30 a day storage then if you are involved in an accident the MIB(no not the Will Smith kind) come after you to pay uninsured damage recovery to the third party vehicle plus and personal injury claim...basically you're stuffed if you drive uninsured, rightly so.

Thats true only if you want to/feel the need to be an upstanding member of the public.
If you`re scum that can afford to drink at 10 in the morning, have never had a job and have no intention of ever having one, a fine means nothing.