• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

bleep test advice

Hi ever one really need some help and advice I did my sleep test last night and got 9.5 I need 9.10 so how do I get that .5 cause I only have 2 weeks to get it done should I just do Sprint work to get it or some thing else please any help thank you

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
If you can get to 9.5, then you can get to 9.10 with a little bit of positive mental attitude.

Think of it this way - 5 more shuttles = approx. 30 seconds of pain. Compare that with the 10+ minutes (+press ups and sit ups) you will have to endure taking the whole test again.

It worked for me when I felt like giving up...

Yea it dint help my bloody feet kept slipping as well but going to do some hill sprints to try and get a little better

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Probably more bleep test practice may be approporiate. I'm sure you can get it some other way from a "free source" but it's available on mp3 from HERE

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
being an old giffer I was worried about the knees, so the technique i used was to accelerate to a speed higher than as necessary and then slow down for the turns.

Just a thought.

Entropy

Sergeant
I'm with Mutty on this one. You need to go in with the attitude 'I can do this'. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and sorted it when I realised that this is as much a mental exercise as a fitness one.

It sounds as if you are fit enough as you are only 5 shuttles short. As its only 100 meteres I think that you need to just grind those last 5 shuttles out.

I try not to do any workouts/runs for a cople of days prior to a test so I am as rested as possible. Finally plan your eating routine prior to the test i.e. don't have a big meal just before the test. These little things also help with the mental aspect. As your head knows that you are as prepared for the test as you possible can.

I had a chicken thigh 1 and a cup of egg noodles 2 hours before and water do you think I should leave it longer and really thanks guys I never got this much help when I was with the TA on the arrse fourm so really I mean it thank you

Last edited:

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Top tip, sort your breathing out.

Nice deep breaths all the way through right from the very start, don't go thinking others will think less of you fitness wise just because you appear to be breathing heavy on the early levels. It is a test of your Vo2 Max afterall.

Elwood

SAC
Yea did that and then started to slip so had to Sprint to keep up think it was that did it
If you are slipping, could it be your footwear? If you are slipping and lose 1 sec per shuttle because of it you could find that is the difference between 9.5 and 9.10.

Please bear in mind that the MSFT is THE MINIMUM LEVEL you must achieve, not the pinnacle of your fitness.

If that is what stood between a 37 year career (and a pension) or the dole queue, are you going to let 5 x 18 metre shuttles stand in your way?
I

I'm not in trying to get in been out the army a year and not done much so trying to join 2503sqd what foot ware do you think they was wareing

You passed army phase one but cannot train for the bleep test?

I do this as I have a gammy knee and running outside aggravates it.

Treadmill bleep test.

1.0% incline. Start at 8.5KmH. every minute up the speed by 0.5.

These are representative of the speed required at each level but I find you need to reach two levels above as it is easier as there is no turning involved. To find the level you reached just at one to the amount of minutes you managed. ie 10 minutes = lvl 11.

I do this twice a week as a warm up before weights.

If you can reach 12 minutes you should be able to get to lvl 9.10 with no issues! But don't stop there, once you can consistently 12 mins up the incline by 1%.

Enjoy!

Entropy

Sergeant
If you are slipping, could it be your footwear? If you are slipping and lose 1 sec per shuttle because of it you could find that is the difference between 9.5 and 9.10.

The gym at Brize is slippy even in squash shoes, now developed a bit of a 'slide up to the line' technique.

ERT is right though, tarmac slapping is the way forward. instead of MapMyRun I use Addidas MiCoach as they have plans that you can upload to your phone and it tells you to speed up when you are slacking (a feature that I could not live without). I use the Aussie Rules plan as its just lots of interval training, have been blasting fit tests since. Have a look as I think the app is great as you it gets you in that flat out mode and tries to keep you there.

However, you have said that you only have 2 weeks until the next test so I don't think that you will see much of an improvement in a week and half. All I would recommend over the coming week are short runs of about 1.5 miles where you try and finish, preferably on a hill, with an extended all out sprint. This should get you into the top of your VO2Max range.

If you do pass then you will really need to up the ante if you are going for regiment.

Last edited: