• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus vs Ind (Kicking off Big time)

F

fergo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7174122.stm

India spin bowler Harbhajan Singh has been banned for three Tests for making a racist remark during their defeat by Australia in Sydney. It was claimed that Harbhajan called Australia's Andrew Symonds a "monkey".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7171843.stm

India have hit out at the umpiring and Australia's sportsmanship after their defeat in the second Test in Sydney. On a dramatic final day, Dravid was going well on 38 when Symonds and his team-mates vociferously claimed the Indian stalwart had edged behind - even though replays showed no contact with the ball.

Ganguly had made 51 when Michael Clarke insisted he had cleanly taken a diving catch. His word and that of skipper Ricky Ponting was taken despite the umpires not having a good view of the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7173616.stm

Michael Clarke took three wickets in the penultimate over as Australia beat India by 122 runs to equal their world record of 16 Test victories in a row.With Brad Hogg unable to gain a breakthrough, Ponting's final throw of the dice was to go for a third spinner in Clarke.

Hogg must be feelign pretty average right now when a part time bowler manages to do what he should be doing, especially on a 5 day old wicket.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Its a bit rich this complaining coming from the Indians. Kumble is without doubt the worst for appealing for everything that hits the pads. Hardly an over goes by without him squealing over some "injustice".

Maybe the Aussies should throw a few jellybeans at them next time!

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Symonds also got a big edge to one on his way to his hundred in the first innings but didn't walk; there was an interesting piece on Sky Sports this am about him not a being well liked cricketer even within his own team. Don't suppose he's that bothered about it and it makes for an interesting final couple of tests between the two countries.

F

fergo

Off Topic Personally i never walk!
the umpires decision is final. There are some that do and some that dont. I didnt walk one day and it turned the game into a bit of a slege-athon, everyone getting a bit of stick. Some people on my team didnt like it, there are always those that dont.

However, later in the season i edged one and didnt walk, went one to get 80 not odd and won us the game and everyone was dead chuffed.

F

fergo

Symonds also got a big edge to one on his way to his hundred in the first innings but didn't walk; there was an interesting piece on Sky Sports this am about him not a being well liked cricketer even within his own team. Don't suppose he's that bothered about it and it makes for an interesting final couple of tests between the two countries.

Yeah that decision is kinda what sparked it all off. I think that is one of the great things in Sport, wither it be football, cricket whatever that the Umpires/referees can and do get it wrong. it is part of what makes it entertaining.

I am a massive footy fan and player and will moan and gripe as much as I'm allowed at Football but on a Cricket pitch it is a different matter and that is another thing i hope is kept sacred.

F

fergo

India to continue Australia tour

India to continue Australia tour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7174992.stm

India will resume their tour of Australia, the country's cricket board announced after a meeting on Tuesday.
The tourists called a halt on Monday after spinner Harbhajan Singh was banned for three matches for making a racist remark in the second Test.

They also hit out over the umpiring of Steve Bucknor, who has been replaced for the third Test by Billy Bowden.

oh, and Aussie bowler Hogg to face charge
Australia's Brad Hogg has been charged with making an offensive remark to India's Anil Kumble and Mahendra Dhoni as the Sydney Test fallout continues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7177032.stm

IMHO he should really be keeping his gob shut, 14 overs on a 5 day old pitch and no wickets when he is the alleged number one spin bowler.

Off Topic billy Bowden is at least a giggle to watch as well!

Last edited:

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
This whole thing is now out of hand, when a side can get the match official replaced, the ICC have lost the plot. The idea behind not letting home nation umpires officiate in tests was to remove any accusations of home bias, so the international panel was formed. In my view Steve Bucknor should probably havve retired a couple of years ago, I've seen him have a couple of shockers in recent series. But then again he could give some stinkers against the Aussies, and would India complain then? The sides from Asia seem very keen to complain about anything, and invariably they get their own way and achieve their desired change. Slightly Off Topic the ruling about bowlers being allowed to straighten their arm during delivery by no more than 15 degrees was brought in to accomadate the acttion of one cricketer, tell me the umpire that can tell the difference between 14.5 and 15.5 degrees in a match situation. This smacks of just because we're losing we will try anything to upset the apple cart. how come the allegations against Brad Hogg have only surfaced now? they should have reported them at the time. In my view they are playing the race card.The Asian teams have long considered that the governance of the ICC was too white orientated (surely that's racist as well?), and dominated by England/Australia/New Zealand and to a lesser extent South Africa. Since then there has been a major increase in officials from Asian countries on the ICC board, and they seem to get their own way in almost everything, and if they get the hump they will take their bat & ball and go home!

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
In my view Steve Bucknor should probably havve retired a couple of years ago, I've seen him have a couple of shockers in recent series.

Dickie Bird has come out with that one today too! It's a very difficult situation and biased towards tha Asian countries as 70% of the ICC revenue comes from India (Sky Sports Quote). I agree with you that no country should dictate who officiates in matches but the Indian Cricket Board hold a lot of weight in the cricketing world and Bucknor has made many mistakes lately. Time for the ICC to make a stance and not be held to ransome by India & Pakistan but I'm more likely to get a call up for the Ashes than that one happening!!

fatal

Corporal
Well rid !

Well rid !

If India want to get mardy once again show them the door. Why dont England , Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the West Indies tell India to stuff it and stay at home. The indians will soon come crawling if their "superstars" cant get the ludicrous fees for a couple of often washed out games over here in England. As for Bucknor being replaced maybe he is past his sell by but now the floodgates will open, can you imagine the outcry once somebody objects to or asks for an Asian umpire to be removed - sad day for cricket but as with almost everything nowadays money talks.

Hmmm how about getting Abramovich into cricket

F

fergo

I think there are wider issues involved in all of this, probably another thread.
Cricket is huge on the subcontinent but the going on the last few years have been poor.
Pakistan taking the hump etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tms/2008/01/players_are_the_problem_not_um.shtml

Above is a link to Jonathan Agnew's thought on it all and i agree with most of it.

i for one respect the way the Aussies play the game. But sometimes there is a fine line that they may cross.

And the whoel jelly bean incident with England just made them look like a bunch of ****s IMO.

I hope the spirit of cricket is not being eroded away!