• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

astra mk5 droplinks problem

actechy14

LAC
Hi all.

Just wanted to ask if any of you with a mk5 (H) astra years 2004 - 09 inclusive have had problems with the droplinks? I'm on my third pair which I've upgraded from the standard Vauxhall plastic to a metal component. Trying to figure out if its my driving, or just a general bad point of the car.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Hi all.

Just wanted to ask if any of you with a mk5 (H) astra years 2004 - 09 inclusive have had problems with the droplinks? I'm on my third pair which I've upgraded from the standard Vauxhall plastic to a metal component. Trying to figure out if its my driving, or just a general bad point of the car.

It's not just the Astra that has this problem, saying that, it's a good job they're easy to change. It's the bl00dy plastic component design that's crap, how's the upgraded ones doing?

actechy14

LAC
What car you driving? They seem to be holding out okay, I'm a bit more cautious with f*%#ing speedbumps and those back roads like rally stages (im up in scotland), but a bit worried that they have no give in them whatso ever.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
What car you driving? They seem to be holding out okay, I'm a bit more cautious with f*%#ing speedbumps and those back roads like rally stages (im up in scotland), but a bit worried that they have no give in them whatso ever.

If they had give in them (assuming you mean the drop links), they'd be rattling like feck which is the reason for having to change them.

actechy14

LAC
I mean because they are slightly different - the plastic ones have the ball joint either end, providing some give in top and bottom, where-as the metal ones just bolt straight on either end, which if pressured then surely will cause considerably more damage than a droplink needing replaced? I'm no car mechanic so I might be missing something or just not understand it fully

ScoobTech

Sergeant
I have seen both types of replacement droplinks on other cars, ones that are solid, and ones that are metal with ball joints at the end. Guess which ones cost £100. It all comes down to cost, the better ones cost more. But they shouldn't really add that much stress to the other components.

Standard rear droplinks on the mighty Impreza are also plastic. again it's because they are made to a cost.

actechy14

LAC
Okay so you pay for what you get. What if we look at it from a different angle - what's better, plastic or solid? Assuming I pay equal for each

ScoobTech

Sergeant
It all depends on what you are after, the plastic ones will flex a little, where the metal ones won't, so both will give a different feel to the car as the anti-roll bar is loaded up on cornering. If the plastic ones are well engineered there should be no worries, the one on my car have doen 80,000 miles with no problems, in fact it is the stanadard metal ones at the front that have started to wear more.If your not interested in a more sporty feel, look at the math (as the colonials would say). Would the Original Vauxhaul plastics ones look likely to fail again before you replaced the car. The cheaper pattern ones, would be made in china by a 12 yr old and the quality would best described as inconsistant at best, hence why they are so cheap, So I would stay away from them.