• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone at/recently been at Chicksands

P

PD TC

Hi all,

Have had a search of previous threads but seen nothing really. I am after any recent gen people may have about Chicksands. The usual sh1t really, quarters, local area, schooling, particularly those working at the DCI side of things (as if there is much more).

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Apologies Mods if this in wrong place; I tried my best !-)

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Stayed at Chicksands recently as there was no accomodation available at Henlow.

The area isnt too bad. Close to some nice villages, but on the downside Bedford and Stevenage are too close for comfort.

The gym is good. The camp itself seemed OK. MGR was manned by a quite rude pongo but he may have been having a bad day so I wont hold that against him.

Some folks, from what I am lead to believe are living in quarters at Henlow due to a shortage at Chicksands. If this is the case ask for one outside the wire. They are bigger and you dont have the hassle of meeting deliveries/visitors at the main gate.

T93

Sergeant
An/flr9

An/flr9

I know they have/or had an AN/FLR9 Antenna Array at Chicksands. Not many around the globe.

I drive past the one at Gablingen (now home to the Bundeswehr) every day to/from work. This one, although I believe has been decommisioned, is still physically intact.

Sorry fella. I know of no use to you, but a tenous link all the same.

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Ive been there on a couple of courses at JSPI/Medmenham.

The camp is ok, half decent gym and there's plenty of fields/open ground within the wire which is good for the kids if your moving your family there.

The MPGS at the front gate can be a pain in the arse at times, but they deal with allsorts from phase 2 recruits to the complete opposite end of the spectrum so they have their bad days. Considering what they look after, they're pretty good.

The shop on camp is very basic so your best bet for shopping would be Shefford, Biggleswade or MKone in Milton Keynes which also has an Ikea. Bedford i didn't like in the slightest and wouldn't feel very happy taking my family there.

Thats all i can think of for now, hope ive helped :pDT_Xtremez_28:

I

Inch High PI

PD TC,

I have just done 2 and half years there. I asked for a quarter at henlow and got it. The quarters at chicksands are bigger, however you need to pay for heating oil which is a bit expensive. I am not sure if all quarters are oil heated though.
The henlow quarters are not bad though the smaller ones are quite old but if its just 2 of you in the family then its not a drama. The larger quarters are the same as anywhere else. There is a junior school just off camp i am sure it was called lower derwent or something. not too sure about schools near chicksands but pretty sure there was a school in shefford village which is about 5 mins from camp.

Chicksands camp itself is quite nice, if your a Cpl or SNCO you will get a duty about once every 1/2 months.

Both the henlow and chicksands gyms are good, there is also a swimming pool on henlow, which can be used by sicksands personnel.

Sports and Social on chicksands is good for a cheap beer and is out of bounds to phase 2's I beleive. Snecks mess is ok just full of int corps!

There are a lot of phase 2 trainees knocking about but to be honest they stay out of your way unless your there teaching obviously.

The local area is not bad, Hitchin is nice and your not far from London. I only went into Bedford if I really HAD too. There is a huge tescos extra in Baldock which is about 15 mins from henlow.

The henlow and chicksands MPGS were mostly ok although you got the odd chopper.

Hope this helps if i have missed anything out feel free to ask.

Last edited:
P

PD TC

Tks for taking the time to respond all.

Certainly housing and schooling are always my main priorities. As many of you will know, until we get the family in and happy, we're not allowed to be. So tips like the SFA outside the wire at Chicksands are the biggest is top advice. Even interesting points like they had a Pusher ae ;-)

Last edited: