• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any recipes for Currywurst sauce.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Bought some bratties from Lidl. Want to serve them with currywurst sauce Mitchell pommfrittes. Got recipe off tinternet but I wonder if anybody has got Thierry own recipe which they swear by.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I am pretty lazy, so I generally just mix some curry powder into some Heinz. However you can purchase Hela Curry-Gewurzketchup on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hela-Curry...39167600&sr=8-1&keywords=gewurz+curry+ketchup

I tend to purchase the Hela but a fair substitute (and way cheaper) is Crucials Curry Sauce. You can get it on Amazon but it's expensive, Mrs Ted got it from Jack Fulton's for about a quid a bottle. If I run out of both then curry powder and Heinz is perfectly acceptable.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I tend to purchase the Hela but a fair substitute (and way cheaper) is Crucials Curry Sauce. You can get it on Amazon but it's expensive, Mrs Ted got it from Jack Fulton's for about a quid a bottle. If I run out of both then curry powder and Heinz is perfectly acceptable.
I've got a recipe which has tomato sauce Worcester sauce mild curry powder cayenne pepper paprika so will give that a go.

dctyke

Corporal
There is a shop in the market at the foot of tower bridge that sells Hela and lots of other German food items. I always stock up there when down south!

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Heinz do a Curry sauce now, not quite up to HELA standard but an easily available alternative from all supermarkets...
Mix in a bit of extra paprika if you want a bit more zing

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Cheers. Experimented with making my own last put a bit too much cayenne pepper.
Heinz do a Curry sauce now, not quite up to HELA standard but an easily available alternative from all supermarkets...
Mix in a bit of extra paprika if you want a bit more zing

Martin Blank

Sergeant
haha yea can imagine too much cayenne would be a bit "tasty" paprika is a bit more subtle or a mix of both for heat and flavour

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I put the following in.

1 cup Tom sauce
5 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons water
4 tablespoon stock
1 teaspoon Worcester sauce

And 1 teaspoon baking powder to take away the acidity.

I put 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper that's why I think it was too hot. Lol
haha yea can imagine too much cayenne would be a bit "tasty" paprika is a bit more subtle or a mix of both for heat and flavour

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Many, many excellent recipes but can anyone advise on the best place to find a decent Bratwurst? Sainsbury’s used to have them on the shelves but stopped for some reason. I blame Brexit.........

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I put the following in.

1 cup Tom sauce
5 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons water
4 tablespoon stock
1 teaspoon Worcester sauce

And 1 teaspoon baking powder to take away the acidity.

I put 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper that's why I think it was too hot. Lol

I might give that a try. Is that chicken stock in the recipe?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Cheers Justin, the pictures of currywurst on that link you gave have given me a massive currywurst craving. I'll be in either Lidl or Alfamega tomorrow getting everything I need.
I found the cayenne pepper made it too spicy but that's my opinion. I made enough to last a few days let's see if it does last.

fourteen2two

Corporal
Aldi bratties are great,they also do spicy ones,definitely worth a try! We get curry sauce by Heinz at Home Bargains,sometimes in Asda. Its like the german variety.
We have just been to on a river cruise through Germany and Austria, so had to have them! The ship did local specialities which was great!
Beer on board was Bitburger pils draft:S Second Post in Wildenrath village used to sell that!
Last year went to Berlin,currywurst had for lunch snack mit bier!
Also had very nice schnitzels!
Glad we have Aldi and Lidl !

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Had Lidl bratties mit homemade currywurst sauce (less cayenne pepper this time) mit pommfrittes und Lidl brotchen last night.

Going to look for a plastic sauce bottle and make a batch of my homemade currywurst sauce. See how long it will last before it goes off.

Might go into business.

My partners son in law is a regional manager for Lidl and he has a German colleague who's going back on holiday next week. He's asked him to bring a couple of bottles of Lidl curry sauce back.

Last edited: