• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any Excel gurus ??????????????????

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Can an Excel guru please help?

I would like to set up a spreadsheet tracking registration numbers and their companies using IF THEN type formulas such as …

IF A1= abc THEN B1=mno

IF A1= def THEN B1=qrs

etc etc.

If possible I would like to have 12 registration numbers and 4 companies to track.

I am looking to get as much of the data automated because the users are not very computer savvy.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've never excelled at anything, so sadly no help here from the goats long time resident IT Biff

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

I would like to set up a spreadsheet tracking registration numbers and their companies using IF THEN type formulas such as …

IF A1= abc THEN B1=mno

IF A1= def THEN B1=qrs

etc etc.

If possible I would like to have 12 registration numbers and 4 companies to track.

I am looking to get as much of the data automated because the users are not very computer savvy.
Entirely possible, although I am not competent enough to explain it here and have to follow Excel help pages when I want to do it. The basic IF formula in Excel is

=IF(A1="ABC","def","ghi"),

where A1 is the cell being tested to see if it contains ABC,
def is the value that would appear in the cell containing the formula IF A1 = ABC and
ghi is the value that would appear in the cell if A1 does not contain ABC.

It is possible to replace the ghi in the formula with a further =IF clause to give 2 further possibilities. That process is called a Nested IF statement and can be repeated more than once (nesting within a nested statement). If you search Excel Help for Nested IF it is reasonably helpful.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Entirely possible, although I am not competent enough to explain it here and have to follow Excel help pages when I want to do it. The basic IF formula in Excel is

=IF(A1="ABC","def","ghi"),

where A1 is the cell being tested to see if it contains ABC,
def is the value that would appear in the cell containing the formula IF A1 = ABC and
ghi is the value that would appear in the cell if A1 does not contain ABC.

It is possible to replace the ghi in the formula with a further =IF clause to give 2 further possibilities. That process is called a Nested IF statement and can be repeated more than once (nesting within a nested statement). If you search Excel Help for Nested IF it is reasonably helpful.
Cheers, I will give it a go.

PSFbeatch

Corporal

IF A1= abc THEN B1=mno

IF A1= def THEN B1=qrs

etc etc.

3 options - you could have a nested if statement which would be quite long. You could use a lookup formula or you could use a drop down with indirect formula.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Thanks for the replies, it is now functional.

It was the son of Gem (RIP) that actually did the donkey work for me and got it up and running.