• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another JPA question

wally375

Corporal
Does anyone know if you can claim the £5 overnight subsistance as well as the daily subsistance if on a course in good old London?

Only ask because it will be a struggle contacting any HR staff on my return from the 'smoke' due to Christmas leave etc.....I would phone the JPAC but 'head against wall' would kick in.

Many thanks in advance:pDT_Xtremez_21:

Major Geek

Sergeant
Does anyone know if you can claim the £5 overnight subsistance as well as the daily subsistance if on a course in good old London?

Only ask because it will be a struggle contacting any HR staff on my return from the 'smoke' due to Christmas leave etc.....I would phone the JPAC but 'head against wall' would kick in.

Many thanks in advance:pDT_Xtremez_21:

If you mean the £5 for Incidental Expenses than yes. Receipts for this are no longer required.

C

cyder

One night stay is £10. ie two lots of £5.

Just put the claim in say 15th dec till 16th dec one nights stay and claim two days £5.

It works for everyone I know. But I did not tell you.

After all its a day rate! is it not. Stay in a hotel one evening buy a papper make a call. next moring is another day buy another paper etc.

JPA it just cant cope so screw the damn computer.

nah he will only be able to claim one lot as he only stayed one night

I tred the tenner for two days tricks and got an arsey email from some accounts civve and my claim rejected

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Yes naked stacker is right it is £5 for every 24 hours you are there so if you arrive at 4pm Friday and leave 4pm sunday then thats 2 lots you can claim however if you arrive at 4pm friday and leave at 8am (or before 4 on the day) you can only claim once.

M

Mohammed The Bear

Dont forget to take 8 friends and have a slap up ruby with not more than 20% of the bill being booze. Oh hang on NO forget that, you might get sacked:pDT_Xtremez_09:

PSF Angel

LAC
Yes naked stacker is right it is £5 for every 24 hours you are there so if you arrive at 4pm Friday and leave 4pm sunday then thats 2 lots you can claim however if you arrive at 4pm friday and leave at 8am (or before 4 on the day) you can only claim once.

RAF Bird is nearly there - Quoted directly from the JSP: IE are designed to cover necessary personal incidental expenses actually incurred when an overnight absence in a hotel or temporary Service single accommodation is occupied.

It doesn't matter how many hours you are there, so long as you stay OVERNIGHT.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
the JSP does say that it is for an overnight stay, however when you look at the rates in Chapter one it does state "per 24 hour period" Ive had this brought up in the past so might be worth double checking.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
the JSP does say that it is for an overnight stay, however when you look at the rates in Chapter one it does state "per 24 hour period" Ive had this brought up in the past so might be worth double checking.

The bottom line is that YOU have to be able to justify your claim. If you can keep a straight face and say that you made a phone call, bought a newspaper or did some laundry on the day for which you are claiming IE then you are covered.

You are right though, there are many discrepancies throughout the JSP and the overnight vs 24 hour period argument is just one of them. If the auditor kicks up a stink and you disagree then the auditor has to seek clarification from JPAC Pay & Allowances Casework. I am confident that they would back up the "overnight" argument.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
RAF Bird is nearly there - Quoted directly from the JSP: IE are designed to cover necessary personal incidental expenses actually incurred when an overnight absence in a hotel or temporary Service single accommodation is occupied.

It doesn't matter how many hours you are there, so long as you stay OVERNIGHT.

I'm sure that as the original question was " can I claim overnight subsitance...." wally realised that I meant you had to be away overnight. You still (as I've been informed by my PSF) cant put a claim in if you have stayed less than 24 hours regardless if you have done overnight so therefore what I said was right surely

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I'm sure that as the original question was " can I claim overnight subsitance...." wally realised that I meant you had to be away overnight. You still (as I've been informed by my PSF) cant put a claim in if you have stayed less than 24 hours regardless if you have done overnight so therefore what I said was right surely

It is open to interpretation/misinterpretation because the JSP says 2 different things. I believe your PSF have it wrong (just my opinion). If someone was away for 23 hours should he not be entitled to reclaim his incidental expenditure? Besides which, nowhere in JPA Expenses do you state the time of departure/arrival.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
I thought IE was linked to ONight subsistence, but I'm not in work, and I'm usually wrong. 1 night subsistence = 1 claim for IE. I think.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I thought IE was linked to ONight subsistence, but I'm not in work, and I'm usually wrong. 1 night subsistence = 1 claim for IE. I think.

That's a pretty good rule of thumb, although you also get IE if you're in hospital or in temporary service accommodation. Where I think the "24hr period" comes in is that if you started your duty at 1700 and it ended at midday the next day you can only claim one x IE, and not 2 (which some may argue because the duty covers 2 calendar days).