• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An FRI for IntOs at last???

M

Melchett01

According to yesterday's Times, it seems that IntOs are getting a bit thin on the ground - well in the Army at any rate:

"The efforts of the military in war theatres are being hampered by an exodus of officers from the Intelligence Corps, which has seen 20 per cent of its staff depart in the past three years, it was reported last night.

More than 100 officers have been lured into lucrative private security jobs or have left the corps because of frustration at the way intelligence is being handled, it was claimed.

One defence source said that the corps was now having to operate with overpromoted officers in key roles.

He told The Daily Telegraph: “To some extent they can no longer fill posts that they wish to because they just don’t have enough people.”

Liam Fox, the Shadow Defence Secretary, said that there was an indication that the Intelligence Corps was so overstretched that operations were being compromised.

The Army is already suffering retention problems and is believed to be about 3,500 soldiers under strength. The Ministry of Defence is considering offering a pool of about 500 officers a £50,000 bonus for three further years’ service. "

Now the million dollar question - what are the odds on any FRIs being applicable to RAF IntOs, or as usual, is it going to be a case of only the Army does Int? Or is the RAF Int Branch just not demoralised and bleeding quite enough to qualify?

Last edited:
So lets get the debate started.

Can anyone think of any IntO's worthy of a 50 grand retention incentive?

I can think of plenty from the ranks who have given blood, sweat and tears to the cause.

The closet some of the IntO's get is the rugby pitch or falling down drunk in Washington/Florida.

That's the blue touch paper lit, now to run and hide.

D

DoesMyBumLookBigInThis?

Take into account this is a newspaper article. I am sure that if by a modern miracle retention bonuses were given, it would be within the Officer and Airman Corps as just as many Int Corps Soldiers and SMEs have left and they are undermanned (as we are) in all ranks.
We all need our Officers, SNCOs, JNCOs and OR to operate effectively. No need for rank bashing! We see enough of that in other forums and I would like to think that as a Branch/Trade we are a bit more civilised! :) :pDT_Xtremez_14:

DMBLBIT, has her sensible head on then.

How about this one then. It has been muted before, but seeing as we are short of manpower, the Int Corps are short of manpower and the Navy Int is in it's infancy, does anyone see an amalgamated Int Branch?

Would it make sense?

Would it work?

Or are we all entrenched too much in the us, them and t'others?

D

DoesMyBumLookBigInThis?

The Navy are getting the same training (certainly on the officer side anyway) - in fact there were more dark blue than light on a course recently...
I know a few of the navy types and think they are generally more than qualified to step onto the bridge <excuse pun> (that is of course supposing they are allowed to continue working in said world and make a career rather than a tour of it!)

I

Inch High PI

Having worked with Navy CTs (which is their Int trade) between the ranks of Leading Hand and CPO in and int cell, I can safely say they are struggling. You do get the odd exception though. Also the CPOs had only been in 5 years (timed promotion!) Dont get me started on Int Corps.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
FRI's are here to stay, at some point every trade and branch is likely to get one.

I must say it was a complete failure in my trade. of the 22 people given the FRI, 18 were studying for their promotion exams and had every intention of staying anyway.

At least twice as many people felt devalued and pvr'ed because they weren't included in the narrow selection field.

However a combined int corps would seem logical, afterall they are all trying to get int on the same people most of the time.

Personally though I would view it as one more nail in the coffin for the RAF and RN.

A more positive spin please. Not so much a nail in the coffin, but a much needed influx of quality personnel into a stretched Int Corps and a junior Naval Int.

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

E

Eskimo

I just heard on the grapevine that the trade are being considered for a £10000 FRI for a further 3 yrs service. If it goes ahead the branch could follow suit.

RAF Int FRIs - you must be joking!

RAF Int FRIs - you must be joking!

Why would there be an FRI for the RAF's intelligence cadre (Of & ORs)? According to OASC the Int Branch is closed for recruitment . . . . .

We have around 160 officers and 226 posts (70.79% when I last looked!) and are capped at 170 personnel. Several questions arise:

1. Why is the Branch 'closed' when we are so desperately short?

2. Why are Int An personnel being denied the opportunity to join the Int Branch?

Or are these both symptoms of the capping?

1. Therefore: Why are we capped to 75% when funded posts are empty.

2. Where is the money from these funded posts going?

On the airman front I have heard multiple rumours about under-manning and very low FMDLs (varying between 50-70%) levels, but nothing concrete on numbers; is this the success that the Trade reorganisation was meant to promote?

As for combining the RAF and Int Corps (I'll discount both the RN personnel for now!) tip-toe towards it at your peril. As we all know, Joint is already spelt A-R-M-Y, what hope do you think you will have of controlling the support the RAF needs when it is taken over by the bigger and 'more professional' Intelligence Corps?