• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Air traffic control officer after Shawbury

Hi im just wondering what would the usual path be following completion of shawbury, ie what would first posting be like i terms of duties, responsibilities etc, then what might next posting be like, what would the progression of responsibility be like etc, thanks in advance for any info.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I would say the first port of call would have been the careers website but it seems quite scant on the details. Next suggestion is your nearest AFCO, they are bound to have plenty of shiny pamphlets on the job.

J Y Kelly

Corporal
If you are applying, ask the AFCO to get you on a trip to Shawbury for a look around, they run them every 3-4 months. I'm sure they will be able to answer all your questions.

Yeah im on a list for the next visit to shawbury, but they are unsure of when that will be, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the procedures from experience or from knowing anyone who has been through them, as like you said, details are very scant both on the RAF website, and in terms of what literature the AFCO provides.
Thanks for replies so far!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Rather than wait for the visit to Shawbury, have you considered asking the AFCO about a visit to your local RAF airfield to visit Air Traffic Control and get the gen straight from the horses mouth? If they won't.. Approach the units Community Relations Officer and ask.

Yeah i got directly in touch with a air traffic controller through a contact i had on a base! who agreed a visit for me to air traffic, and then totally stopped replying when tried to arrange a date, and been on two station visits where was meant to go to air traffic and they turned out to be too busy for one reason or another, literally pulling my hair out now!! Awaiting the trip to shawbury but who knows when that will be!!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Which is your nearest unit? Speak to the CRO... Let them arrange it, rather than trying to cuff it yourself.