• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A few queries for a potential reserve!

Yamin

LAC
Hello all.

I've got a reserves information day in January and can't wait! I have a few queries that I couldn't get answered over the phone so thought I'd try here in the hope that I get an answer.
I know I'll have the chance to ask these questions on the information day I just want to go with as much information as I can.

Ok so here goes....

1) 24 years ago I wasn't interested in school and as such left with no qualifications. Since then I've got a few IT certifications and educated to NVQ 2 standard. Will the "no GCSE" still bar me from doing a role that relies on basic GCSE scores or do they take other factors into account?

2) If I join the reserves and love it, can I transfer to full time regular? Or do I have to leave reserves and apply all over again? (Also if possible, does rank carry over?)

3) Is the "drill night" for the RAF reserves usually weekends as opposed to the army that usually does once a week training. (Aside from the longer training camps and deployment)

4) Because of my lack of GCSEs the roles I've been looking at are in logistics or regiment gunner, I'd like to learn as much as I can and progress though the ranks. Could anyone suggest/offer insight into the various logistic roles and which is a good role to apply?

That's it for now, thanks for any advice received.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hello all.

I've got a reserves information day in January and can't wait! I have a few queries that I couldn't get answered over the phone so thought I'd try here in the hope that I get an answer.
I know I'll have the chance to ask these questions on the information day I just want to go with as much information as I can.

Ok so here goes....

1) 24 years ago I wasn't interested in school and as such left with no qualifications. Since then I've got a few IT certifications and educated to NVQ 2 standard. Will the "no GCSE" still bar me from doing a role that relies on basic GCSE scores or do they take other factors into account?

2) If I join the reserves and love it, can I transfer to full time regular? Or do I have to leave reserves and apply all over again? (Also if possible, does rank carry over?)

3) Is the "drill night" for the RAF reserves usually weekends as opposed to the army that usually does once a week training. (Aside from the longer training camps and deployment)

4) Because of my lack of GCSEs the roles I've been looking at are in logistics or regiment gunner, I'd like to learn as much as I can and progress though the ranks. Could anyone suggest/offer insight into the various logistic roles and which is a good role to apply?

That's it for now, thanks for any advice received.

Really quick reply cus I'm busy....

1. Depends. Waivers can be sought for some trades.
2. In this day and age, you could potentially transfer and not need to do the full RTC or trade training, but you are years from that point.
3. Depends on the Sqn.
4. Not a loggie.