• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

42 Sqn history

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Thumbing through an old photo album I came across a news clipping from 1941 about the loss of a Pilot Officer J D E How who was killed (with no known grave) 13 Aug 1941 (CWGC records). The CWGC records show that he was part of 42 Sqn and that 42 Sqn lost 7 other personnel the same night, only 1 of whom has a grave - in Norway. At the time, 42 Sqn was part of Coastal Command and was flying Beaufort light/torpedo bombers, each with a crew of 4, so the loss of 8 men equates to 2 aircraft lost, presumably in the vicinity of Norway.

This is a long shot, but does anyone have any access to any histories of 42 Sqn that might indicate what that night's operation was? The Operations Record Book for the period is held in the National Archives at Kew, but before I take a trip down there (not sure when I will find the time), if someone already has access to records then I'd be pleased to hear about it.

Thanks