• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 Fly fishing Season

So the season is almost at and end here in Germany with mostly only Grayling fishing available.
For me I have been luckily enough to catch brown and rainbow trout in the rivers of Spain, Austria and Italy. Dry fly or small PTN´s were the most productive for me
Anyone else care to share their memories of this season?
cheers and tight lines for next year

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
3 weeks ago I was lucky enough to be invited for a weekend of shooting and fishing in the Gucci Glen between Loch Tay and Aberfeldy...A friend of mine is developing old farms up there in to luxury housing and in his spare time beats for the local laird...this earns him free fishing rights on the Tay and for myself and 4 others for the weekend...The laird also gave us the key to his fishing boffy complete with ancient black and white pictures on the wall of his family of old holding magnificent salmon, a log fire and tattered arm chairs to sit in, drink a malt and shoot the breeze to give your casting arm a rest...Spent the Friday shooting clay then down the local pub (music night so violins, squeezebox, one of those big tamborine style drums and singing...very scottish)...One of the gamekeepers in the pub offered us a free flush in the morning (alcohol is great) so 3 went off for pheasant and anything that flew (normally £35 a bird) and my mate and I fished the Tay from 0900 till 1800...Salmon the size of dolphins were leaping out of water right next to us but not taking any one of the dozen or so fly we tried...eventually I chopped to a nymph and got some brown trout as a consolation but it was an amzing day with the scenery there and the people who walked by and spent the time of day...

3 weeks ago I was lucky enough to be invited for a weekend of shooting and fishing in the Gucci Glen between Loch Tay and Aberfeldy...A friend of mine is developing old farms up there in to luxury housing and in his spare time beats for the local laird...this earns him free fishing rights on the Tay and for myself and 4 others for the weekend...The laird also gave us the key to his fishing boffy complete with ancient black and white pictures on the wall of his family of old holding magnificent salmon, a log fire and tattered arm chairs to sit in, drink a malt and shoot the breeze to give your casting arm a rest...Spent the Friday shooting clay then down the local pub (music night so violins, squeezebox, one of those big tamborine style drums and singing...very scottish)...One of the gamekeepers in the pub offered us a free flush in the morning (alcohol is great) so 3 went off for pheasant and anything that flew (normally �35 a bird) and my mate and I fished the Tay from 0900 till 1800...Salmon the size of dolphins were leaping out of water right next to us but not taking any one of the dozen or so fly we tried...eventually I chopped to a nymph and got some brown trout as a consolation but it was an amzing day with the scenery there and the people who walked by and spent the time of day...

aah the fickle salmon, I once spent two days fishing at Banchory lodge near Aberdeen trying to hook a salmon. They had been in the river a few days and were very dark colour and although active refused a fly, well mine anyway!
Last year was on a river in Islay and the salmon were fresh from the sea..silver bars jumping here and there. Tried every type of fly I had, even one that was a dead ringer for a prawn..nothing! As you said the scenery makes for a wonderful day. Islay was a wonderful place to visit.

freudian slip

Corporal
Salmon season has finished on the River Findhorn and again the elusive fish has stayed off my hook, the only thing to come out of the river was a rather greedy brownie on a salmon fly half its size.
Fishing for trout has been great this year with a personal best and Northern League Heaviest fish of 7lb 4oz.

Salmon season has finished on the River Findhorn and again the elusive fish has stayed off my hook, the only thing to come out of the river was a rather greedy brownie on a salmon fly half its size.
Fishing for trout has been great this year with a personal best and Northern League Heaviest fish of 7lb 4oz.

Wow that fish was a monster, are they catch and release ? Got to to get to Scotland again !!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Any of you guys know this fella >> HIM << ex plumber and England international fly fisher?

If you are in the Coningsby area give him a shout if you fancy a day out on the AW reservoirs.